Sign in to follow this  
LeatherWerks

How Do I Seal This Leather Project

Just completed a Advenger style holster and was wondering what I could use to get a matt finish on it. It's dyed black with Fiebings USMC Black. I just tried Tan-Kote on a scrap piece of leather and thought the finish was too glossy as well as showing brush marks when applied. All I really want to do it prevent the black dye from rubbing off onto clothing. What do you folks suggest?

Thanks,

Steve

I've not found a "mat" finish yet. I don't brush my sealers on anymore. I airbrush them while they are laying flat on a table. Much less of a pain in the hiney that way.

I don't bother with any of the black dye anymore either except as a thin top coat over Vinegaroon.

Rub and rub and rub the finish till it doesnt come off any more than use what ever you want. You have to rub all the extra off first.

I like to use dr jacksons on holsters and belts that ar enot tooled. Sort of a wax/silicone like seal.

Aaron

I use Angelus Matt acryllic finisher. The end result will be best/flatest with an airgun :-)

(http://turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/miscellaneous-products.html and down around 2 thirds of the page...I have nothing to do with these people except being a happy customer myself)

Just completed a Advenger style holster and was wondering what I could use to get a matt finish on it. It's dyed black with Fiebings USMC Black. I just tried Tan-Kote on a scrap piece of leather and thought the finish was too glossy as well as showing brush marks when applied. All I really want to do it prevent the black dye from rubbing off onto clothing. What do you folks suggest?

Thanks,

Steve

FWIW from the old grumpy guy: The first thing needed is to remove the excess surface residuals from the dye. Buff the snot out of it --- then, buff some more. I used a soft buffing wheel on a 3/8" variable speed drill for this --- before switching to vinegaroon to turn leather black. When you are quite sure you have it buffed out, take a fairly damp (old -- discard-able)washcloth and wipe it down --- more will come off. --- more than you expect. Buff a little more. Now then, wipe it down well with pure neatsfoot oil and allow to set in for 24 hours or so. I then use(d) a 50/50 mix of Mop&Glo and water (yes, the floor stuff) Two coats, sprayed on with an airbrush. No airbrush? --- use the pump sprayer from a Windex bottle. Allow 15 - 20 minutes between coats and a couple of hours for total drying. Remember that this is to seal it with --- not to put on a super, high-gloss finish. Rub in -- by hand -- actually a couple of fingers, but no cloth, applicator, or whatever, a LIGHT coat of Kiwi neutral polish, let is set up for a little bit and buff out with a soft cloth. FWIW --- from my 35 years experience as a LEO, every time the Dept. decided to issue the 'newest and finest' holsters to the troops, we ended up with black rub-off on our trousers. EVERY time, and this from makers such as Bianchi, Safariland and Aker. Over my time in law enforcement I carried everything from a .38 Colt Police Positive (shows to go you how long ago that was) to a Glock 21. I'll lay you odds that even today the big commercial outfits still have rub-off from their holsters. Mike

Edited by katsass

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for sealer suggestions. I'm going to try them all and see what works best for me. I'm really interested in trying the 'Mop &Glow' method.

Steve

I've not found a "mat" finish yet. I don't brush my sealers on anymore. I airbrush them while they are laying flat on a table. Much less of a pain in the hiney that way.

I don't bother with any of the black dye anymore either except as a thin top coat over Vinegaroon.

There are two true matt finishes that can be sprayed, that I know of. However, I used them for years on woodturnings...Nothing tried on leather to date.

This one is truly invisible, unless you coat it a half dozen times or more, at least on sandblasted ash. I used to spray 10-15 layers.

I'll dig some up and try it on leather

Krylon Fixatif- link http://www.krylon.com/products/fine_art_fixatif

This one has a bit more sheen after a few coats -

http://www.krylon.com/products/matte_finish/

I assume these to be similar to what is offered in an acrylic spray finish for leather, but I am inclined to look for and use something flexible, as opposed to hardening finishes.

It would seem to me that any hard coat finish would eventually crack, particularly on a belt, or any surface that is bent or flexed.

I am intrigued by katsass' mop & glo finish, though. Just bought some.

Jake

I am intrigued by katsass' mop & glo finish, though. Just bought some.

Jake

Hi Jake:

Yes... I've noticed that some of the finishes "for" leather smell like other things... like floor cleaner and Elmer's glue.

I'm sure if you look up the Safety sheets for Mop & Glow and compare them to other "leather finishes" you'll find they are very similar.

Hi Jake:

Yes... I've noticed that some of the finishes "for" leather smell like other things... like floor cleaner and Elmer's glue.

I'm sure if you look up the Safety sheets for Mop & Glow and compare them to other "leather finishes" you'll find they are very similar.

Did that already a couple weeks back ...MSDS for Mop & Glo states it is primarily acrylic polymer emulsion:

http://www.kandelandson.com/msds/Mop%20and%20Glo.pdf

Jake

ps: in the above comment I said acrylic and I meant to say lacquer. I don't believe Krylons Matte lacquer to be acrylic based. J.