FoamerAce

How Do You Finish The Flesh Side Of Your Straps?

Those with experience please chime in and bestow the benefit upon me.

I assume that you have leather that has appendages hanging off the flesh side of your leather.

First rule, . . . never buy that cheap of leather.

Second, . . . take a sander to it, . . . yeah, . . . the wood sander sitting on your woodworking shelf. No sense in trying to explain how, . . . you play with it a while, . . . it'll come to you.

Then you just finish the flesh side the same way you do the hair side. Now some folks don't dye the flesh side, . . . I'm not one of them. Dye jobs at my place are a baptismal effect, . . . dunked till they bubble.

Add the appropriate finish, . . . I'm partial to Resolene, . . . mop & glo works, . . . as well as others.

Hope this helps, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

First, echo what Dwight says and then for me for straps I have a very old, probably 1850's strap roller that I have put very heavy tension springs on that I roll straps through. Weaver sells newly constructed ones in some different configurations. I put cased pieces through under extreme pressure and they come out nice without a lot of work. Depending on the application, I may do additional burnishing on the edges ( while still cased)

Thanks for the advise.

I don't have space for a proper workshop, and wouldn't us an orbital sander in the dining room. I use a sanding block for my edges. I'll see what I can do with that.

Mop & Glo eh? Definitely give that a try.

I agree with dwight about the quality of leather. I normally don't do anything to the flesh sides of straps. The one excpetion is on motorcycle bags. I will dye the back side, rub them down with gum trangnathum (however you spell that) and pull them over my burnishing stick. then I use the same top coat and sealers I use on the finished side. I only finish those because they are going to get wet. I really don't know if that process helps with water or not, but in my mind it does.

I try to buy leather that has a pretty smooth flesh side, IF i do happen to get a piece that is kinda ugly then I coat it with Fiebings Tan Kote. I used to burnish all of the flesh side of my bags with Gum Tragacath but I applying Tan Kote is easier and less time consuming. If possible and if available try to buy a higher grade leather.

Edited by Bicicouture