thesergeant

Diy Synchronized Binder For Flatbed Walking Foot Machine (W/ Video)

Hey guys, so I thought I would share a design I came up with to help some people out who may be looking for a synchronized binder for their flatbed machines. As far as I'm aware they only exist for cylinder arm machines like the Pfaff 335 and others.

This is the 'prototype' that was made using a Sailrite 3/4" right angle binder and scraps of maple that I had laying around. The setup works by using a pin at the end of the 'binder plate' that drops into the hole in the feed dogs. This keeps the binder a fixed distance from the needle and allows it to move with the stroke of the inner feet.

The result is a consistent and perfect binder application on inside and outside edges with zero drop off. I'm in the process of remaking it using acrylic since it's cheap and easy to come by. My real preference would be to use aluminum or steel. Perhaps I'll consider it down the road.

Just thought I'd share for those that are interested. Thanks!!

Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPCpRm3niw

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-10-09%2520at%25

That is awesome! I would gladly buy one from you if you ever decide to sell your design.

Genius...!!!

What is the part in the machine with the hole?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Michael, the hole is located in the feed dog. If it wasn't there and was just solid I would have drilled it and tapped it with a small flat head screw and screwed the end of the binder plate in ( oversizing the hole in the binder plate to allow for movement)

I totally need that! Great hack.

Wow, that bound edge looks great. I've got a Cobra 4 cylinder arm machine and have been trying to find a binder attachment. I haven't had any luck yet locating one, though. Seems like I"m going to have to take a page from your book and make my own - thanks for posting this!!

Impressive. I have seen many homemade mods to sewing machines, some well done with good concepts, some not so much. This is one of the best concept ideas I've seen adapted, and great quality video. Very informative and educational. Thanks for sharing.