Sign in to follow this  
David

Working On A New Seat.

This is a new one that I started last week.

Let me know what you think.

Dave Theobald

post-5652-059133100 1318281844_thumb.jpg

post-5652-086031900 1318281859_thumb.jpg

post-5652-040304000 1318281870_thumb.jpg

Sharp as always David - nice work :)

Thanks for the responses guys. They are always appreciated.

Not too many comments on this one. Is the interest in motorcycle gear falling?

Dave Theobald

Dunno, but don't stop posting up! ;0)

I like!! Show us the finished product too.

Thanks

I like!! Show us the finished product too.

Thanks

I'll definitely show the finished product, but it may be a while. This seat goes with a p-pad, made by Roger. When I have both of them in my shop, I'll dye and use antiquing paste on both at the same time.

Dave Theobald

Thanks for the responses guys. They are always appreciated.

Not too many comments on this one. Is the interest in motorcycle gear falling?

Dave Theobald

Hey Dave, the seat looks great as usual. The lettering you designed is pretty slick.

I always meant to ask, do the dollar coin conchos on the bottom have any significance or do you simply like them?

As for the biker gear interest question, I have noticed that responses to motorcycle topics have wained a bit unless they are really over the top or have something new going on. Doesn't help that we're already a 'minority' as far as subject specific interest groups are concerned. ;) makes one wonder if a motorcycle piece had some really nice saddle style sheridan floral done on it, would it garner more responses? The world may never know...lol.

Chris

Fabulous work Dave!

Maybe the novices are just overwhelmed with the creativity here?

I will be starting a dash cover for my '02 Scout this weekend and will post my progress, first try at biker stuff so I may as well learn on my own stuff? Next over the winter will be a seat.

Jeff

Hey Dave, the seat looks great as usual. The lettering you designed is pretty slick.

I always meant to ask, do the dollar coin conchos on the bottom have any significance or do you simply like them?

As for the biker gear interest question, I have noticed that responses to motorcycle topics have wained a bit unless they are really over the top or have something new going on. Doesn't help that we're already a 'minority' as far as subject specific interest groups are concerned. ;) makes one wonder if a motorcycle piece had some really nice saddle style sheridan floral done on it, would it garner more responses? The world may never know...lol.

Chris

Chris

Hey Chris,

The conchos are something I put on a seat just for grins. Then guys started asking for them. Nothing more significant than that. I'm sure a sheridan bike seat would draw comments here. But flowers on a bikers seat?....ya may never be able to sell it.

Shirley Z from here on the site did a western floral seat and couldn't sell it on Ebay....... maybe if I put a skirt on the seat with a buscadero holster built in........... I've seen it done,

Best to you,

Dave Theobald

Another awesome seat there Dave. I hope one day to come even remotely close to the talent you have in your leather work. Everything i've seen from you is always three steps above perfect. Keep up the great work. Have a great day and God bless

Another awesome seat there Dave. I hope one day to come even remotely close to the talent you have in your leather work. Everything i've seen from you is always three steps above perfect. Keep up the great work. Have a great day and God bless

Thank you for the amazing compliment. That is the way I feel when I see Bob Parks work. He is Hidepounder here on LW.net

Dave Theobald

Here is the next steps. Lacing done and some black areas added. The black areas have a Neat-Lac coating to try to hold the black on the leather. The lettering and cigar smoke have Super Shene to try to keep them lighter than the surrounding leather when the seat is dyed and antiqued. Now I will wait for the P-Pad to come back from Roger and then dye and antique them at the same time.

Dave Theobald

post-5652-000172300 1318695185_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work. What's the final color scheme? It looks so good like it is, if it was mine, I'd be real tempted to keep it as natural as I could.

Looking great Dave, always really like that applique lacing. The design came out really clean. Should look killer once its all done (heck it looks killer now).

Looking great Dave, always really like that applique lacing. The design came out really clean. Should look killer once its all done (heck it looks killer now).

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It does mean a lot.

Dave Theobald

Here is the next steps. Lacing done and some black areas added. The black areas have a Neat-Lac coating to try to hold the black on the leather. The lettering and cigar smoke have Super Shene to try to keep them lighter than the surrounding leather when the seat is dyed and antiqued. Now I will wait for the P-Pad to come back from Roger and then dye and antique them at the same time.

Dave Theobald

So they're both going to get a massive coat of black, correct?

my $$$'s on a darkish tan antique - the black areas will pop big time :)

my $s on a darkish tan antique - the black areas will pop big time :)

Here is an approximation of the final colors

Dave

post-5652-029112100 1318784196_thumb.jpg

As always David. WOW!!

I'll definitely show the finished product, but it may be a while. This seat goes with a p-pad, made by Roger. When I have both of them in my shop, I'll dye and use antiquing paste on both at the same time.

Dave Theobald

Just curious Dave, this is the first time I've remember you mentioning a collaboration...special request or did it just work out that way?

Chris

Hey Dave!

Your work is always awsome, on a par for bikes as what Bobby does for Sheridan style. I have had several requests to do some bike seats as a result of some seat and scabbard work I did for a modern twist on the 1943 WLA as a fund raiser for the Wounded Warrior Project. I'll post some shots of the bike when it's done, but I have really hesitated accepting any of the inquiries, partly because this was the first bike seat I ever did and the results fell far short of your work. Building saddles and building motorcycle seats are really different animals!

The other thing I've noticed is that there is a reduced response in most of the catagories. I think part of it, in the case of your work, is that once somebody has written "fantastic" there ain't much left to be said. It may also be that folks are so busy in their own working life that it's like a brief time-out to look at some photos of great work and then back to the grind. Whichever it is, it's pretty general and not just about biker gear.

Anyway, thanks for posting and keeping me out of the bike seat game :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Mike

Just curious Dave, this is the first time I've remember you mentioning a collaboration...special request or did it just work out that way?

Chris

Chris,

I've done one other collaboration with Roger, the other one is on my site., it has been a while, but they seem to work out well. Roger does such a neat job on them.

Pic attached.

Dave

post-5652-070216000 1318885166_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave!

Your work is always awsome, on a par for bikes as what Bobby does for Sheridan style. I have had several requests to do some bike seats as a result of some seat and scabbard work I did for a modern twist on the 1943 WLA as a fund raiser for the Wounded Warrior Project. I'll post some shots of the bike when it's done, but I have really hesitated accepting any of the inquiries, partly because this was the first bike seat I ever did and the results fell far short of your work. Building saddles and building motorcycle seats are really different animals!

The other thing I've noticed is that there is a reduced response in most of the catagories. I think part of it, in the case of your work, is that once somebody has written "fantastic" there ain't much left to be said. It may also be that folks are so busy in their own working life that it's like a brief time-out to look at some photos of great work and then back to the grind. Whichever it is, it's pretty general and not just about biker gear.

Anyway, thanks for posting and keeping me out of the bike seat game :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for taking a look at the Time 2 Fly seat. But, I have to say that there are few if any in the leather world today who can or should be compared to Bobby Park. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the compliment, it is just that Bobby is in a class all by himself. Taking a class and picking his brain is probably #1 on my bucket list.

Thanks again for looking, I'll keep posting as long there are a few still looking at them.

Dave

Edited by David