Kustomizer

Shipping questions for seat builders

I'm shipping a solo seat and was wondering what precautions I need to take when packing it up? You guys wrap your seats in anything before you pack it in the shipping box? Do you include and care tips?

I'd like to add one more part to Kustomizers question. Who do you use to ship? Because I just went to UPS to ship the mustang seat and they said $36.00 to pack it and another $76 to ship it and it was going to take ten days for delivery.

Scott

I'm shipping a solo seat and was wondering what precautions I need to take when packing it up? You guys wrap your seats in anything before you pack it in the shipping box? Do you include and care tips?

Cant add to much on the shipping but with the few items I have sold I allways include a short write up on the product. I give a quick HOW TO on keeping the product clean and conditioned, now will they follow your instructions. Its the cant make a horse drink thing but atleast I tried ya know. I usually print these up and handwrite a thank you with my name at the bottom.

Of course you can add care tips; realizing of course that most bikers will throw them away. But at least you tried!

Shipping, I use UPS insured for the selling value of the seat... don't forget the cost of the pan. I try to avoid putting the finished

seat in anything plastic.... no bags, no peanuts.... and no newspaper.... you don't need ink transfer on your work.

If the box is too big and you need take up space, I have wrapped the seat in clean shop rags.... and then you can use anything

you choose for packing. But keep plastic and newsprint away from your seat.

As far as the shipper, I use UPS and pack it myself. From Ohio to Arizona insured for $500 will cost me $18. I give that just as

an example. Shipping time is usually 3 days. I've found them reasonable.

David Theobald

Of course you can add care tips; realizing of course that most bikers will throw them away. But at least you tried!

Shipping, I use UPS insured for the selling value of the seat... don't forget the cost of the pan. I try to avoid putting the finished

seat in anything plastic.... no bags, no peanuts.... and no newspaper.... you don't need ink transfer on your work.

If the box is too big and you need take up space, I have wrapped the seat in clean shop rags.... and then you can use anything

you choose for packing. But keep plastic and newsprint away from your seat.

As far as the shipper, I use UPS and pack it myself. From Ohio to Arizona insured for $500 will cost me $18. I give that just as

an example. Shipping time is usually 3 days. I've found them reasonable.

David Theobald

Thanks everyone for the great info!

Well I shiped the mustang out. I boxed it myself and took it to fed-ex 28.00 much cheaper than the 76 at UPS and fed-ex was 3 day delivery as opposed to 10 days UPS.

Scott

For solo seats I use the U.S.Postal Service large flat rate box. It's like 13.95 anywhere in the country and I usually throw delivery confirmation on it for under a buck.

Be it leather or wood, I always wrap any item in brown kraft paper. Its like $10 a roll at Lowe's, its the stuff they sell as floor covering at my Lowe's its in the paint department. It has never stuck to my work. I leave one end of the paper open in the box for any finish that may still have a bit of off gassing going on. After that you can wrap it in bubble wrap or peanuts. I usually just use crumpled paper as a filler.

I always us the US Postal Service unless the customer has a preference. If you do anything for anyone that requires international shipping. Get a quote before beginning. It cost $67 to ship a $85 piece to New Zealand last year.