Sign in to follow this  
flyingcuda

Black Powder Bag- Help Please

hello all, i was asked to do a black powder bag for a customer, seems simple enough...if you know what you're doing. i haven't a clue. he is providing his own leather, i don't have a tandy's or any other leather supply near me. is there a pattern available? i looked on amazon and chapters, they have nothing :( i am going to try with spare material while i am waiting to get a lead on help. if anyone could help, i would be very greatful! oh, i don't have a good enough sewing machine, so this will have to be done entirely by hand, and he wants fringes. thanks for your time in reading this, have a great day!

flyingcuda

Here is a photo for you............post-1906-055371900 1300732081_thumb.jpg

you can make it the size you need, i usually make mine

7" wide .....8" deep

Edited by Luke Hatley

There are at least three bags concerning black powder usage: The Carry Bag that Like showed; the Shot bag and the Powder Bag or in some cases a powder horn. Which of the three are you making?

BillB

Check out some of the muzzleloading sites-I recommend Track of the Wolf- and pick up a book called Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch by T.C. Adams.

It takes you step by step thru one type of pouch and gives patterns for three more. Gives a list of tools needed, type of leathr, how to stain, etc....

I just posted two here in the Show Off section

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=191459

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=191457

As for how-to make one - as noted above mi compadre, Tim Albert's (not Adams) book, is excellent and includes patterns as well as instructions and worth every penny:

http://store.scurlockpublishing.com/recreatingthe18thcenturyhuntingpouchbytcalbert.aspx

as a reference bool I recommend....

The Kentucky rifle hunting pouch, its contents and accoutrements as used by the frontiersman, hunter, and Indians York, Penn.: Madison Grant

One question to ask your friend - what era does he want it for? Styles and construction varies over time and place.......they run from simple to complicated........

There as many types and styles of bags as there are BP rifles. Since these are simple bags to make you can just draw yourself a pattern on cardboard yourself. I have made hundreds without having had a pattern. It is basically up to your imagination as how to make it. Some are sewed, some are laced together. Some have beaver tail flaps, some have rounded flaps and some have squared off flaps. I have made some from deer that had jagged edges.

Straps can vary from canvas to leather. They can be attached to the back or the sides. More of preference than anything. You can make your bag to look new or antiqued. I have taken vegetan and distressed it to look 100 years old. There are several ways to make them look old. From using old worn looking leather to taking oven cleaner to age leather. I once bought an old leather jacket from a thrift store for $5.00 and used the leather to make an antiqued looking possibles bag.

One of the things I love about leather craft is using your imagination in the making of your project.

thank you all for your shared information! the customer has brought in a rough drawing of what he wants, so i will give it a shot, i'm going to try it out with some scrap material first before i rip into his leather. always nervous when a customer provides thier own material, easier to deal with mess ups when it's your own money :whistle: thanks again, i really appreciate the help :You_Rock_Emoticon:

thank you all for your shared information! the customer has brought in a rough drawing of what he wants, so i will give it a shot, i'm going to try it out with some scrap material first before i rip into his leather. always nervous when a customer provides thier own material, easier to deal with mess ups when it's your own money :whistle: thanks again, i really appreciate the help :You_Rock_Emoticon:

be sure to post photos when you are finished...............

again, thank you for the replies. i finished the bag and have pics posted in the show off section. the one thing about "just wingin it" is you sure find out a lot about yourself! i learned that when i don't do something right the first time.....i need a cool off period! i don't know if that's a girl thing or if everyone goes through it...it could be just me :head_hurts_kr: thank you again :grouphug5vj5: