Handstitched

I Need An Opinion On Singer 29K55 Sewing Machine.

G'Day,

I have just got off the phone a few moments ago, and after much deliberation, I have decided to purchase a Singer 29K55 patcher machine after seeing it advertised in the classifieds, in fact, its been in there for approx 3 weeks.It was in the 'sewing machine ' section, but was moved to the 'antiques and collectables ' section, as the age was advertised as '1912' .(?)

I received a photo of it via email a short time ago.

I just need some feed back on what you think.(?)

The seller is a former leather worker himself and still has some of his tools (and after seeing my leather work , may inspire him to get back into it....we need more leather workers:thumbsup: )

And , despite its rusty appearance, I have been given assurance that it is all in working order...including the most important bit (for me), the 360 degree rotating foot.

I haven't used these machines before , and I don't know very much about them.

It hasn't got a stand , but I'll look for one later.

The only downside is that it over 3 1/2 hrs drive away further south of me in regional Western Australia.

(I'm quite used to driving long distances in one arvo )

After reading quite a few posts on here regarding the restoration of these old machines, I think the best course of action would be, go over the arm with some steel wool ( and remove any other surface rust) and to just to give it a good oil up, and not bother painting it, as I don't want to lose the remaining decals.(?) I think someone on here mentioned that they look good with their 'patina'.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

The amount I'm paying is, $250 Australian.

Thanks in advance.

HS :cowboy:

G'Day again,

I don't know why , but the pic didn't attach.

I'll try again

:cowboy: HS

Bugger!!

Take 3

The file was too big....thats why.

sorry about that:(

OK....try this instead.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/5392883550/

hope that helps.

(chech out the other pics if you like)

Thanks HS

Hello,

Over here in the US the gears that run the shuttle have been obsolete for over 30 yrs,they have fine teeth on them & will break pretty easy.

I would offer $100 to $150 tops for that old machine, especially since it is sold as head only. You are going to have to invest a lot of time and possibly some cash to fix it up. A machine in that condition was not well cared for. Plus, although the butterfly works, how badly worn is the crank mechanism inside it, that moves the pressor foot? A brand new 29k from that time period could only deliver 5 stitches per inch (5 mm long), into thin leather (4 oz). By the time you place 8 oz of leather under the foot, you'd be lucky to get 4 mm stitches. It goes downhill from there, until you max out at 16 oz thickness, at which time you'd get 3 mm stitches, maximum. If you are going to use the patcher to repair boots and shoes, tiny stitches are normal. Also, the old patchers are pretty much limited to thin thread, like #V69 / T70. You might however be able to run #92 through it.

The stitch lengths I mentioned are for a tight, like new or completely rebuilt machine. If the patcher is as unserviced internally as it appears to be externally, you can probably cut the maximum stitch length by 25%, or worse. I have tested old patchers that struggled to yield even 8 stitches per inch (per 2.5 cm), on 4 oz leather.

Take some pieces of 4 ounce leather and try it out. If it yields close to 5 mm stitches in one layer, the drive mechanism is tight. Thread it up, including the bobbin and make sure it stitches properly, top and bottom, from 4 ounces, up to 16 ounces (4 pieces). If the foot has difficulty moving the leather enough to form a reasonable stitch length, it is worn out and will require dis-assembly and shimming or brazing of worn out parts.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Here is a picture of the sewing machine that the seller of this patcher is actually using for his excellent leather work. It is similar to the long arm Cowboy and Cobra and other Juki 441 clones sold over here.

The only reasonable use for an ancient, 99 year old Singer patcher, is sewing patches onto vests and jackets, installing short zippers and fixing rips in bags, clothes, shoes and boots.

G'Day again,

Thanks heaps for the feed back.

I think I will be spending some time (.....and some cash) to bring it up to scratch.

I have no intention of putting heavy leathers through it perhaps, 2-2.5mm .... 3mm thick at the most..

But I will certainly put it through it paces to see what it can do and paying close attention to what parts are worn, how many stitches it does, but I won't be setting my expectations to high.

If it does need some mechanical TLC, then the search of parts will begin.

I also have a friend here in my own town that also has a patcher for sale , so I might be purchasing that as well.

My machine 'bucket list' is almost complete.

I have a Pfaff 60 , (my Mothers old machine ) which is ideal for thin/light stuff, can sew up to 2.5 mm.

I have my Colt, ( as you saw in the picture) which is ideal for the thick heavy stuff ( great investment too) I now have all the adjustments just perfect now, and never misses a beat.

I just need a patcher, for the 360 deg foot for doing odd stitches,

and perhaps a Singer 132k60 (or simliar) for 'inbetween' stuff and for doing horse rugs etc.

( I have been asked to do those now)

I will be buying that old patcher, but I will certainly pay attention to the feed back here when I finally get it home.

But I'll give it a good oil up first.

I'll keep you informed how it goes.

Thanks heaps once again.

HS

G'day HS,

OK....try this instead.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/5392883550/

I think the technical term for that machine in this part of the world is "rooted".

I wouldn't bother if I were you. I've got 29k13's in better condition than that. That color of rust usually indicates serious neglect that has completely stuffed the internals as well as just the internals.

G'day HS,

I think the technical term for that machine in this part of the world is "rooted".

I wouldn't bother if I were you. I've got 29k13's in better condition than that. That color of rust usually indicates serious neglect that has completely stuffed the internals as well as just the internals.

Or, buggered!

G'Day ,

Well I finally got the machine home after a long drive.I did try knocking the price down, but he wouldn't budge....bugger ....it was worth a try.

Anyway, looks can be deceiving, despite its appearance, it runs a lot smoother than I expected.

I looked closely at how many stitches it can achieve.

Still using the old needle that is still in it, it can do stitches 4mm long and I used a piece of 2.5mm veg tan off cut.

I also tried two layers of 2.5mm veg (5mm) , still the same...4mm long, even with the old needle, it went thru easier than I expected.

So, if it can do that, well, it is certainly going to do what I bought it for.

I'll have to take some pics of the stitching.

Also, after cleaning the little copper and brass plates, I discovered thats it's not a 55, but a 53, not a great deal of difference really.

Apart from cleaning the surface rust on the arm etc, ,and giving it some TLC, theres not a great deal that I'll be doing to it.

I won't touch the logo's etc that are remaining, I'd like to keep those.

I am happy with it.

There is also one more 53 (or 55) that I know about, that I'll be getting, but not sure if it is complete.

I have also got a lead on a stand for the 53.

All the best,

HS

G'Day ,

Well I finally got the machine home after a long drive.I did try knocking the price down, but he wouldn't budge....bugger ....it was worth a try.

Anyway, looks can be deceiving, despite its appearance, it runs a lot smoother than I expected.

I looked closely at how many stitches it can achieve.

Still using the old needle that is still in it, it can do stitches 4mm long and I used a piece of 2.5mm veg tan off cut.

I also tried two layers of 2.5mm veg (5mm) , still the same...4mm long, even with the old needle, it went thru easier than I expected.

So, if it can do that, well, it is certainly going to do what I bought it for.

I'll have to take some pics of the stitching.

Also, after cleaning the little copper and brass plates, I discovered thats it's not a 55, but a 53, not a great deal of difference really.

Apart from cleaning the surface rust on the arm etc, ,and giving it some TLC, theres not a great deal that I'll be doing to it.

I won't touch the logo's etc that are remaining, I'd like to keep those.

I am happy with it.

There is also one more 53 (or 55) that I know about, that I'll be getting, but not sure if it is complete.

I have also got a lead on a stand for the 53.

All the best,

HS

You have gotten lucky with the mechanical condition of the machine. Oil the large moving parts with straight 20 weight oil. Order you some packages of series 29x3 (round) and 29x4 (leather) needles, in sizes 16 through 22 (metric 100 - 140). Buy thread sizes T70 and T90. Get threading wires. If the bobbin tire is worn out you can get replacements online. It is a larger diameter tire than is used on household machines. The inside diameter is about 18 or 19 mm.

If you are getting 6 stitches to the inch, on 5 mm of leather, be grateful. Note, that 6 holes to the inch may not produce 6 stitches, once you actually sew with thread in it. The top and bottom tensions may drag the stitches slightly shorter.

Thanks once again for the advice.

I have printed off that info that you have given.

That 'lead' on a stand for the 53 , is also a supplier of needles , thread etc for some vintage machines, including patchers, so I will be giving him a call very soon.

I seem to have machines coming out all over the place.

There is a second patcher on the horizon that I have been told about by a friend , as well as a Seiko STW 28B ( in good working order) that a neighbour is willing to just give me, but I will give her somethng for it. Seems to be good start to 2011 as far as machines go.

Best regards,

HS

I forgot all about this. It wasn't until I was doing a search on boot patchers  that I noticed it.

Anyhoo....

This is that machine today. I haven't restored it at all, but I have given it some TLC. It works perfect, its well oiled and does  4mm stitches, I'm happy with that.   The bit of leather in the pic is  3mm .  And its definitely a 53  :) The only  gripe is finding parts here in Oz. Parts are a ' dime a dozen ' everywhere else , except Oz.  I just need a couple of bits to complete it .I'll go O/S if need be.   The manufacture date is around 1921 or 1924. The serial # is Y1648149 , if someone can enlighten me? 

A stand would be the ultimate, but to be honest, I have nowhere to put it . The head sits just  nicely in a spare bit of space.  It'll keep going long after I'm gone  :)

HS

Singer 29K53  Boot Patcher Machine.jpg

Only took you 9 years to get back to your post.:lol: Can't rush these things, I guess.

It came up pretty good.:specool:

Looks like it was made on 26-01-1924, that's what ISMACS  is telling me.

Bert.

9 hours ago, Bert51 said:

Looks like it was made on 26-01-1924, that's what ISMACS  is telling me

I concur. I had a look at that site, very comprehensive. 96 years old, I'll give it a birthday when it gets to 100 , might even buy some new decals and get the few missing bits  as a birthday pressie   :)  

@dikman Thanks for that.  I live in the bush, nothing happens in a hurry out here   :zzz:  

Or is it you live in W.A., I got out while I could and I moved back to the eastern states 30 years ago.

Bert.

4 hours ago, Bert51 said:

Or is it you live in W.A.

Now now , be nice  :)  , I know , W.A. stands for " Wait Awhile" ,  but what I meant to  say was..?..o'h never mind :rofl:   

HS

Yeah, got to be nice, I still have a married daughter and a couple grandkids living in the Pilbara, 13 k's above the Capricorn.

Bert.

That plate is wrong.  The 29K 55 is a long arm not a short arm.  The 29K51, 52, 53, 54 are short arms.  The 29K55 and 56 are long arms.

glenn

@shoepatcher

I did mention that it is definitely a 53 a few times. I know the brass plate looks like it says ' 55'  from that blurry angle , but my ol' happy snappy cheapy Samsung camera can't quite pick  up the ' 3'  clearly enough, as much as I tried. :) 

I'll try taking another pic if you like, but from a different angle . 

HS

great.  I just wanted to make sure you knew.
glenn

On 3/2/2020 at 8:05 PM, Handstitched said:

The head sits just  nicely in a spare bit of space.

It finally has a permanent home in my workshop after much tidying and re-arranging .Prior to that, it just got moved whenever I needed to use it....it got a bit heavy  :)

It now sits next to ' Brutus'  . Quite a juxtaposition, the old & the new sitting next to each other. 

The rubber mat prevents it from sliding about on the laminex bench.  I just need an extra light . 

HS 

Singer 29K Oct. 2020 003.jpg