RoosterShooter

Need Recommendations On Servo For Singer 211G151

I'm needing an affordable servo for a Singer 211G151. Can someone please point me in the right direction on where to purchase one?

Thanks.

Anyone else? I like options. :thumbsup:

I now use and recommend the Family Sew FS-550 servo motor that is sold by Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Ask for the 50mm (2 inch) pulley instead of the 75mm that is installed by default. It requires a special inside collar to allow 3/4 inch ID pulleys to be installed onto a roughly 5/8 inch shaft (actually some Metric diameter). You can re-use the interfacing collar with other 3/4 inch pulleys, should you wish to experiment.

Tell the dealer what your existing motor pulley diameter is as well as the length of your v-belt. Sewing machine v-belts are type 3L (3/8") and are usually measured in inches, in the USA. The belt may be stamped with a 42, or M42, meaning 42 inches outside circumference, or some other number. Upholstery and garment making machines are normally setup with small hand wheel pulley and large motor pulleys. I often see 44 inch belts on these machines.

After converting such a machine to use a FS-550, the belt will need to be shorter, one inch per inch less motor pulley diameter. So, if your existing pulley was 4 inches and the new motor is ordered with a 2" (50mm) pulley, the new belt needs to be 2 inches shorter.

Is this a brushless motor? Do brushless motors have more control? Is the FS550 big enough for the Cb4500?

Is this a brushless motor? Do brushless motors have more control? Is the FS550 big enough for the Cb4500?

No, it has two brushes. Two extras are included in the packaging, along with a spare brake pad.

The motor has a multi-position speed limiter switch on the front panel, with a pointer knob. You can change the top speed in a second, even while you are sewing.

I have one powering my CB4500. I ordered it from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines with a 50mm pulley, which is not the standard size from the factory. Bob Kovar used a special interfacing collar to fit inside the new pulley, which has a 3/4 inch bore.

The motor has a 38 inch type 3L v-belt feeding the large pulley on the speed reducer. The small pulley on the reducer feeds up to the machine. It can sew through 3/4 inch of veg-tan leather, with a #25 needle and #277 thread, at one stitch every five seconds, or into 1/4 inch double leather belts at 5 stitches per second. This is all easily controlled by your foot. For occasions where I need to sew patterns, like fishtails, I set it to the slowest setting and sew with the pedal all the way down. She chugs along at about one stitch per second.

I hope this helps 'splain the motor.

I've been nothing but happy with my SewPRo 500GR. I purchased from toledo. Was a little under 200 with shipping. Worth every penny.

No, it has two brushes. Two extras are included in the packaging, along with a spare brake pad.

The motor has a multi-position speed limiter switch on the front panel, with a pointer knob. You can change the top speed in a second, even while you are sewing.

I have one powering my CB4500. I ordered it from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines with a 50mm pulley, which is not the standard size from the factory. Bob Kovar used a special interfacing collar to fit inside the new pulley, which has a 3/4 inch bore.

The motor has a 38 inch type 3L v-belt feeding the large pulley on the speed reducer. The small pulley on the reducer feeds up to the machine. It can sew through 3/4 inch of veg-tan leather, with a #25 needle and #277 thread, at one stitch every five seconds, or into 1/4 inch double leather belts at 5 stitches per second. This is all easily controlled by your foot. For occasions where I need to sew patterns, like fishtails, I set it to the slowest setting and sew with the pedal all the way down. She chugs along at about one stitch per second.

I hope this helps 'splain the motor.

I'm sorry, but I'll need more information. :)

Is there any specific information I will have to give them about my machine at Toledo before ordering the servo?

Also, is this a 'plug and play' modification? In other words ... I have experience with switching motors out on rock cutting machines ... will this be somewhat like that?

Thanks.

Edited by RoosterShooter

It is a very easy job & normally the holes in the table even line up.The motor comes pre-wired w/a new switch & is ready to bolt on.This motoe also has a threaded rod belt adjustment on the front like most other motors to adjust the belt length.

My question was primarily for the control of the the brushless motors, does Toledo sell brushless motors?Are they better?Anybody use them?opinions??

Brush type servo motors are analog control. So the adjustment for speed is a potentiometer (adjustable resistance). You turn the knob to set the upper speed range.

The others are digital servo control, brushless. They have a little display, use push button switches to make adjustments.

I have both. Once you have the max speed set, you aren't likely need to adjust again for sometime. The potentiometer is easier to quickly adjust.

The sewpro from Toledo has 3:1 gear reduction built in so has better low end torque.

Depending on specific manufacturers, some digital servos have very good low end torque due the the capability of providing precisely controlled pulses and yet be able to maintain precise speed control. They are high end and cost substantially more.

Tom

Brush type servo motors are analog control. So the adjustment for speed is a potentiometer (adjustable resistance). You turn the knob to set the upper speed range.

The others are digital servo control, brushless. They have a little display, use push button switches to make adjustments.

I have both. Once you have the max speed set, you aren't likely need to adjust again for sometime. The potentiometer is easier to quickly adjust.

The sewpro from Toledo has 3:1 gear reduction built in so has better low end torque.

Depending on specific manufacturers, some digital servos have very good low end torque due the the capability of providing precisely controlled pulses and yet be able to maintain precise speed control. They are high end and cost substantially more.

Tom

I would be interested in finding a brushless motor with the most torque with 115 volt input power.

I currently have both styles but am looking for another brushless motor, possibly with needle positioner.

Thanks guys

On the Enduro website they have mentioned the amount of torque of some of their motors.

www.endurosaves.com

They have some motors with 1400 Watts :blink:

To me they all look the same (no matter if Consew or Enduro or other brands) and I guess they all come from the same factory (just a guess) and the servo motor "thing" is a bit confusing for me - somehow.

EDIT:

I just notice keysew has some of them:

http://store.keysew.com/parts/industrial-sewing-machine-motors

Edited by Constabulary

I'm sorry, but I'll need more information. :)

The brake on the FS-550 is composed of 3.56672389725 mm thick, medium high density, extruded and composited, triple resublimated Thiotimoline.

Some of our customers that used the brushless motors had problems with the chip going out in them & requiring a replacement.the analog type (FS-550) does not have that problem & the range of speed control is better on the foot pedal,the torque seems to be the same as the brushless.

I have both. Like the brush type/

analog best cheaper too. easier to control speed and plenty of torque

I had to perform the stupid optical cheater trick on my previous digital servo motors in order to have good slow speed control. Not so on the FS-550.

The brake on the FS-550 is composed of 3.56672389725 mm thick, medium high density, extruded and composited, triple resublimated Thiotimoline.

Excellent! :)

I found a Yamata USA, Inc "Family" Fesm550N locally for $100. Will this work for my 211g151?

I found a Yamata USA, Inc "Family" Fesm550N locally for $100. Will this work for my 211g151?

Take your machine and table to that dealer and have them swap to the new motor. That way you'll have the right belt, tension and pulley for your intended speed range.

My local guy is a 'home sewing machine' repairman / salesman. Even though he sells the industrial / used machines he knows very little about them.

I opted to go with a the FS-550 that Toledo sells. I had more confidence in speaking with Bob on the phone than I did in speaking to my local guy face to face. :spoton:

I spoke with Bob Kovar on Saturday and he informed me that all of the new batch of Family Sew motors shipped to him will be factory equipped with a 50mm pulley. No more fabricating an inside collar to mount a larger bore pulley to these motors. Even with the 2" pulley, if it feeds a 4" machine pulley, the top speed should be around 1800 RPM, or 30 stitches per second. This is fast enough for upholstery and most garment sewing work.

A double :thumbsup: for Bob at Toledo! I got my order today from him, and I am very happy! I contacted him this morning to see when the order might arrive. Much to my surprise it arrived a day earlier than he estimated!

I'll definitely keep them in mind for my future purchases.