Tallbald

Gun Belt Buckle Selection?

In tools, clothing, vehicles, guns...you name it....I've always chosen stout construction and fine function over appearance. I have decided that I want to add gun belts to my leather crafting skill set, and am having difficulty identifying strongly made buckles of higher grade materials. I prefer stainless steel, solid bronze and heavy alloyed brasses. So much though of the buckle selection I see online seems to lean toward stylish finishes, fancy stamping and thinner construction. I don't want flowers and rhinestones. I want rigid build and durable finishes that hold up to heavy use.

Is there a specific line of buckles folks can recommend I look into? I currently have accounts with a couple big name leather craft supply houses, but it's hard to select the buckles I hope for from only a single photograph and brief description.. Thanks. Don.

I use the #50 type roller buckles from Weaver. I have also bought these from Springfield but Weaver has better prices on them. Very good buckle in my opinion.

I'm not familiar with a Weaver site. I'll do a search. Thank you.Don.

These are for casual/dress type gunbelts that is. They are also a sponsor at the top of the page.

Edited by husker

I've been using "utility' buckles from Springfield...but not the fancy ones. These are solid brass or nickel over brass and have held up to several years of hard use.

Anything that is stainless steel, steel, or brass (plated or not) should hold up just fine.

If you worried about the strength of a buckle on a gun belt then you probably should look at the weight of the gun lol.

Thanks husker, I too was unaware of Weaver's offerings in hardware and you might have just saved one of my climbing saddles. I was considering hacking up my retired (Weaver) saddle, mostly for the buckle, jumbo d rings and maybe the straps etc., but after a search I see they offer a hefty double tongue utility buckle that appears to be nicer than the others I've found. Until now I felt the same as the OP, unwilling to go on just a thumbnail pic and one liner description so, if nothing else, I think Weaver's name gives me the nudge.

Edited by Wicked Welts

As far as strength, The buckles from Weaver will certainly do the job. Before I started doing my own leatherwork, I bought all of my belts from an amish shop here in central Ohio. I'm sure they source their buckles from Weaver. I have literaly hung my entire body weight (over 250) from my 1.25" latigo belt with one of those roller buckles.

A basic safety rope around your belt will save you from injury when you don't have a full safety harness available :oops:

I've been getting them from Buckleguy recently...good selection. They have a real nice stainless roller buckle, see item no. B6231.