terrypen

Rotary Cutters

If anyone is interested in buying rotary cutters, JoAnn's fabric and craft stores is having a huge sale. A lot of stuff is 50% off and some stuff you need a 50% off coupon (you can get those by signing up on their website.)

I bought one of the cheaper brands today, I will let you know how it goes with leather. I did cut some thin paper like it wasn't even there... I thought maybe I wasn't doing it correctly and then realized it was already cut.

It was a package deal... Cutter, mat(12"x18"..no metric), and ruler

Listed for $49.99 but was 50% off

Thought I would let everyone know just in case you are interested in those.

Rotary cutter   JoAnns

Edited by terrypen

I did some test/Armitage wallet cuts on some 1-1/2 to 2oz lining leather like cutting butter.

Then I cut some 4-5oz Herman Oak and it also cut really smooth and was able to cut straighter than ever.

So now I have a whole bunch of Nigel's 70cm x 100cm wallet pieces.... guess I need to make some wallets now.

Thanks for the tip, I like using them on thinner leather.

Are you still liking the cutter?

We use 60mm rotary cutters for probably 90% of our leather cutting.  Great for straight lines and okay for mild curves.  For square corners we roll close then finish the corner with an utility knife.

I have a few rotary cutters that I use.  They work quite well for thin garment leather and stretchy leather such as deer/elk.  They are not so useful for harder veg-tan for me.  I do however LOVE having a rotary "paper cutter" that is fantastic for anything up to about 6oz and is the cat's a$$ for squaring up smallish pieces!

Bill

I.ve been using the Fiskars ProCision cutter.  The cutter is mount on a pair of rails mounted on a ruled board. I'm working with some thin leather remnants and can turn a bunch of ink blot shaped pieces into wallet panels quicker than I can find a dropped needle.