Sign in to follow this  
Hidemechanic

Saddle treemakers

This subject came up in a different thread, and lost in the crash. Thought we should revive it.

Where do you get your saddle trees?

I get the majority of mine from Rod and Denise. The balance come from Bill Bean and who ever else has a reputable tree and time to build me one!!

Right now I have a couple ropers from Timberline. I have also got a couple of Nikkels - one through a drawing at Sheridan Leather Outfitters, and one from another guy who ordered one, but the customer needed a different size tree. I pick off here and there too. I just got another tree from a guy who decided to buy instead of build. I am not big enough to have a steady order with anyone at this point.

I mainly use a guy here in GA..but Bowden makes a pretty good tree..though I don't get theirs covered...I buy their uncovered wood trees and then get them spayed with line-x...but heard Timberline makes a good one..never used them though..talked to a guy in TN but he won't ship uncovered trees. actually am looking for a few other suppliers if ya'll can give me contact info on a few. And I only want uncovered trees. I saw a couple of ads from the Big book online...Black Mesa tree company and Baties custom trees...Anyone used them???

Dave

Edited by YRsaddles

I mainly use a guy here in GA..but Bowden makes a pretty good tree..though I don't get theirs covered...I buy their uncovered wood trees and then get them spayed with line-x...but heard Timberline makes a good one..never used them though..talked to a guy in TN but he won't ship uncovered trees. actually am looking for a few other suppliers if ya'll can give me contact info on a few. And I only want uncovered trees. I saw a couple of ads from the Big book online...Black Mesa tree company and Baties custom trees...Anyone used them???

Dave

[/quote

I have personally used Baties trees. They are reasonable on their prices and are decent on quality but the problem is they don't keep trees in stock so you have to wait on them to build them, maybe six eight weeks and you could have the saddle built in a week or two, Meanwhile your customer wants the saddle and you are waiting on the tree.

Your fellow craftsman, Doc Hole

Edited by mntdshootrdoc

Have used several treemakers over the years. My favorite was Hercules. As they went out of business, I tried several others. I now use timberline only.

They make a great tree to saddlemakers specs.