Shaunread

Branding/logo

Hi,

I decided to make a 'brand' for my leathergoods rather than selling them as just blank goods with the thought that with a stamped brand, there might be the possiility of more business with friends of the products owner seeing and asking about the product/brand,

However, I'm not sure so sure about the logo(s) I've designed, they all follow the same rough pattern but I cant decide which to use. I'm aiming my leather goods at relatively 'smart' or 'professional' people e.g. business men/women and I aim to go into fashion accessories for women over the next month or so to expand my product range. Does my design suit this target market? Could you give me any advice on it from your point of view? Anything would be realllllllllly appreciated! :)

A )

s7YQpBH.png

B )

LrytLzJ.png

C )

FQ4N0Em.png

Thanks!

Edited by Shaunread

I vote #1. Simple. I don't ever want to have to tell people something is quality. I want them to assume its quality.

I like "C"...to me it just looks more like custom workers stamp.IMHO

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. However the term "goods" doesn't exude excusivity. Rather it sounds like something on the corner store. As Joe points out, flipping an item over and seeing just "Magpie" alone lends an air of a bit of mystery and exclusivity.

I would be tempted to not use the word "goods" at least.

Best of luck!

I like #1, simple is best.

but, I do not like the font. looks odd between the g and the p.

Aaron

The problem with the two saying "quality goods" is that when scaled way down to the size of a leather stamp, they'll be unreadable. Also the spacing is off on the relationship between "Maggie" and the rest of the text.

If you're going to use "quality goods", put it in a much more simple font. something san serif that will read when it's printed at a 4 point size, because that's about what it'll be at once you stamp it into leather.

Edit- just realized it's "Magpie", not "Maggie". So there's another issue, that font doesn't read for your brand name.

After taking your advice that the font was confusing I changed the initial design to (hopefully) make it easier to read.

A )

WL8fZ0l.png

However, taking Corter's advice I decided to change font for another approach. Better or worse?

B )

8UC9vNe.png

C )

CUk0BiN.png

Seemingly, simple is better for a brand so maybe the new font is somewhat better and bolder to the potential consumer? Branding is a lot more stressful than I thought!

A but I don't like the font. If you can just eliminate the loop on the P it will become much clearer that there are 2 different letters

Branding is hard, very hard. My 2 cents. I have to agree with others, the change of font is a must. I kept reading and re-reading it trying to figure out why the two g's did not look symmetrical, it took a bit to realize they were two different letters. You don't want anyone looking for Maggies Leather when they need to find Magpie Leather. Without knowing your style and what you plan on going forward with, how about Bespoke Leather Goods? Very stressful :unsure:

how about "Quality British Leather" instead of "Quality British Goods" ?? the latter would make me think of things other than your main focus on leather ..... JMHO

Totally up to you and what you feel the best about. I like the font fine but I would use leather instead of goods as well. My brand is the bird looking object in my picture. The top part is a "D" (my first initial) and all of it together is a "B" for Burdette Custom Holsters. Although I have holsters in the business name, I make everything from holsters, to satchels, to tack, to whatever the customer orders. I have gotten comments on the "brand" though. Folks seem to like it.

If you use the cursive-style font, I suggest reworking the p. As illustrated, that letter cannot be written fluidly by hand. Either attach a stem on the left that leads to the downstroke, or revise it so it could be written by hand. I think that is one reason it has received comments. Also, I think the p and g should descend the same amount, with similar negative shapes in the curves and loops.

The all-caps font is fine, and has a more formal touch. The spacing between the letters should be such that they feel to be equidistant, which means they will not be.

Lastly, I do not recommend having Magpie and Leather next to each other in the name, unless you want people to ask if your goods are made from magpie leather.

Overall, I applaud the efforts, and suggest some refinements before making the final choice. Either could be a good start.

-JV474

Also, what if the end of the cursive e ended with a pen lift-off effect, similar to the pen touching-down effect at the beginning of the M? If a calligraphy pen here held at the angle in the font, leading to the thins and thicks, the end of the e would be thinning.

I would suggest "British Quality" which says it all. The Euro Font is not indicative of leather goods unless it's stylish fashion accessories. If so, I would use the euro font but bold it so it will read as a small stamp.

Cya!

Bob

b- looks the best to me. Enlarging the font slightly in magpie by a fraction and change the font of quality goods to helvetica for a contrast and put it one size smaller and in bold. The words quality goods in helvetica will look bolder than the brand name magpie which without seeing the actual products are probably crafty type items hinted by the handwritten type font and the name Magpie.

The logo is very important and should be memorable.

The second batch of logos look more professional than crafty and will suit your target audience. Same opinion as the last paragraph, slightly decrease the size of the font for quality goods and also compressing it downwards. I would suggest also kerning(space out the letters) the word british so that the eye doesn't look at the large space in between the words. Last thought is that quality goods/ quality british goods should not be the first thing the viewer sees when they see the logo, it should be magpie, that could mean that you can find a font that brings it out more (a classy decretive font can do).

Use to take a class in graphic design. Good luck.