RobDude30

Thread Type For Sewing Wallet Guts

I'm trying my hand at making a wallet and am wondering what type of thread you all use on the wallet interiors? I'm looking for something that is tough and durable, yet small diameter for the fine sewing work on the pockets (pigskin lining and cloth backing). Should I look for a nylon or maybe a cotton/polyester blend?

I'm trying my hand at making a wallet and am wondering what type of thread you all use on the wallet interiors? I'm looking for something that is tough and durable, yet small diameter for the fine sewing work on the pockets (pigskin lining and cloth backing). Should I look for a nylon or maybe a cotton/polyester blend?

I use Extra strong Nylon. Hand sewing that is..Buy it at 5&10store, or any store that carres sewing supplies. The brand I'm using is: coats & clark.

I also use some wax on the thread, it helps.

I use Extra strong Nylon. Hand sewing that is..Buy it at 5&10store, or any store that carres sewing supplies. The brand I'm using is: coats & clark.

I also use some wax on the thread, it helps.

Thanks for the info!

yeah, I just use the same thread I use for hand sewing - Barbour's 6 cord linen. I just wax it a little bit less, and if it's hidden, I'll just do a running stitch. I use a 4 prong diamond punch instead of an awl for the holes. I've thought about getting some nylon thread for this purpose, but I don't think regular #69 machine thread would look good if done by hand.

yeah, I just use the same thread I use for hand sewing - Barbour's 6 cord linen. I just wax it a little bit less, and if it's hidden, I'll just do a running stitch. I use a 4 prong diamond punch instead of an awl for the holes. I've thought about getting some nylon thread for this purpose, but I don't think regular #69 machine thread would look good if done by hand.

I'm leaning in the same direction as you are doing. All of my sewing is by hand. I just ordered several sizes of linen cord to try out. I've tried some other threads but keep coming back to the linen. To me it just fits the look I am trying to achieve better.

Just in case anyone is interested, I found a very strong, 100% polyester thread - Gutermann Extra Strong Thread - that works very well for what I have been working on. I use it in my home sewing machine for sewing my wallet interiors in the places that aren't visible in the finished product only. I use it mainly to sew the credit card pockets (pigskin lining leather) together. I am still hand stitching everything that can be seen.

From what I found researching this topic, 100% polyester thread is best for what I need it for. It is very strong and should last a very long time. Some of the other types of sewing threads can be damaged by the chemicals used in the leather tanning and finishing processes.

Rob