All of the holsters I have made up to this point have been made from Tandy Leather. I have heard and read that W&C is some of the best but I have a question, what is meant in their pricing section by Standard, Utility and Special? and which one do you use to make holsters?

Thank you

Standard is A

Utility is B

Special is C

But you will find that their Special (C grade) is probably a lot nicer than anything youve used before. You get spoiled though. I've switched to Utility and am considering moving up to Standard.

Dan

My first side from them was Standard. No going back. Nice stuff.

i use thier standard grade and can't believe i ever used anything from Tandy. Wickett and Craig is awsome stuff.

Tony

I've used W&C for about 2 years now and have found it hit & miss. Sometimes the sides are great and sometimes not so much, fuzzy flesh side, abrasions, and so forth.

I normally use the overstock sides, they normally are special and utility at good prices. I have ordered the standard a few times and have found that the overstock was a better side of leather. They will also split the sides at no extra charge, but be prepared, it can take 2 to 3 weeks to get them.

I've used W&C for about 2 years now and have found it hit & miss. Sometimes the sides are great and sometimes not so much, fuzzy flesh side, abrasions, and so forth.

I normally use the overstock sides, they normally are special and utility at good prices. I have ordered the standard a few times and have found that the overstock was a better side of leather. They will also split the sides at no extra charge, but be prepared, it can take 2 to 3 weeks to get them.

Along this same line, are you all buying the heavier weights and having them split down? If so, which weight do you buy and what do you split it to? What happens to the split part?

Jake

For you guys buying drum dyed leather from them like I do, I recently found out they they will redye the backside after splitting for a small additional fee.

Been waiting a few weeks for my order to ship :(

I started with Standard, now I order 3-6 sides every 6-7 weeks using their overstock Special grade. Even when I cut out the portions I won't use the savings are pretty tremendous. My last order was 2 sides 4-5 oz, 2 6-7, 2 7-8, and one 8-10 oz all in the carving leather. I ordered on a Tuesday and it shipped on a Friday but this seems to be an exception to the rule.

Thanks folks.

I am not too sure I want to wait weeks for an order to ship. I am not an impatient person but that seems like a long time to process an order.

Along this same line, are you all buying the heavier weights and having them split down? If so, which weight do you buy and what do you split it to? What happens to the split part?

Jake

I order 6 ounce for the liner and 7 for the outer for holsters and lined belts. 4 ounce for belt bullet loops and for unlined I go with the 10 - 12 ounce without splitting.

For the last 6 months or so I have been buying the English bridle for most items if I do not plan on stamping or carving, it has a great finished side that requires very little work after completion.

Call and talk to Glenn Proud, he'll help you out.

Jake

I order 6 ounce for the liner and 7 for the outer for holsters and lined belts. 4 ounce for belt bullet loops and for unlined I go with the 10 - 12 ounce without splitting.

For the last 6 months or so I have been buying the English bridle for most items if I do not plan on stamping or carving, it has a great finished side that requires very little work after completion.

Call and talk to Glenn Proud, he'll help you out.

If you have them split the side they will ship the split to you also, IF you request it. If you dont request it they keep it.

I've always assumed the split is thrown out because what can you do with it?...Does anyone else know the answer? I can't see there being much left to use.

If you have them split the side they will ship the split to you also, IF you request it. If you dont request it they keep it.

I will have them send me the split once in a while. I use it to make leather belts for my 4x36 belt sander. I then put rouge on it and have a power strop for stroping my knives. That is about the only use I have found for the splits.

RC

you can also use it as filler material. Say you want a belt with a raised center, or a little bit stiffer sidewall to a purse. Probably many more uses that we haven't thought of.

My last order a couple of weeks ago, I asked Glenn at W&C what they did with the split, he said that because it is split numerous times there is nothing worth sending me.

Makes sense I guess. At saddle school we used the Artisan splitter and if you attempted to split a 12 ounce side to lets say 8 ounces on only one run it tore the heck out of the finish side. If you took it down a little at a time it worked out great.

What he said. I no longer use them. Way to many returns.

How does W&C compare to Hermann Oak? Which would you recommend for holsters?

I use Wickett and Craig. I have used Hermann Oak, not sure if it is Oak anymore. HO has a harder hand than W&C. Occasionally you will get a hide that has what seems to be a little "rawhide" in the center. This occurs in spots mostly but it is not a big problem for me as I use mostly W&C and get it from the Tannery. I like having a source fairly close to me.

If you want real oak tanned leather, you will have to go to Baker or Rendenbach.

Art