LeatherLegion

Mini Hot Stamping Unit

Here is a small unit I came up with that can be attached to a Tandy press. It heats up in about a minute and works great on any type of leather just by itself or using hot foil. It's pretty much meant for small maker stamps...the one pictured is .75in/2in

Let me know what you guys think about as I am planning on making few of them and put them up for sale through my web-site.

Those of you using instagram , just look up "ltrlgn" to see a small video clip i just posted. I am planning on coming up with a more detailed video that will be posted on YouTube too

post-21349-0-80650300-1426861758_thumb.j

post-21349-0-21612200-1426861775_thumb.j

Nice!

How would one attach a maker's mark to the heat block?

Are there controls for the heat level?

Cord's waay to short.

Thanks,

Michelle

I attached my stamp using a "hot stamping tape" meant for this type of application.

No controls for the heat level... I was trying to keep the unit as simple and small as possible...that's the reason the cord is so short too. I used an extension cord with an on/off button and it does the job.

It takes a bit of trial and error for gold foil stamping ...but just for hot stamping it's pretty straight forward. I had a branding iron in the past and I found using it , was not the most comfortable thing and size wise was a bit cumbersome

For this particular unit I used a 200w heating element which I think it's a bit of overkill. Next ones will be 100w .

Thanks !

Edited by LeatherLegion

I'll be looking for the you tube version. I'm one of those that needs to see something in action to get the whole picture. Would it work with the other style of hand presses?

I'll be looking for the you tube version. I'm one of those that needs to see something in action to get the whole picture. Would it work with the other style of hand presses?

It can probably be made to accommodate any hand press...

Nice job! how long is that heating element and where did you get that tape.

Thank you

Tor

Nice job! how long is that heating element and where did you get that tape.

Thank you

Tor

The element itself it's 2in long and it's held in place by a set screw...the aluminum block is a bit longer than 2in , about 1in tall and .75in wide. The tape I bought it about 2-3 years ago on eBay

Short video is up and running on YouTube...it was done with my phone...vertically... and has some jazz as audio track...lol...hope you guys like it. Better watched on full screen

Edited by LeatherLegion

That worked very well, nice deep impressions. Only thing you need is two rollers for the foil.

Job nicely done!

Tor

Edited by Trox

That worked very well, nice deep impressions. Only thing you need is two rollers for the foil.

Job nicely done!

Tor

I thought about adding some kind of support for the foil...but then again, I just wanted something small that can hot stamp quick the logo in any type of leather . Being able to use the hot foil once in a while it's just a plus Edited by LeatherLegion

Try wetting your leather first. You will get a nice dark burnish in the natural veg tan.

Looks good. How much is the unit and can you a price for the unit please?

I live in Wales, UK The plug would have to be changed and not sure about the voltage for Wales, UK.

Does the block need to be metal, or die made from high impact acetal?

How would I fix the stamp to the block?

What is the minimum thickness of leather I could use?

Regards

Eirian

Edited by eirianceri

Leather Legion, Did you end up making these units for sale? I'd be interested in some details...

For those of you still interested in this small hot stamping units just e-mail me at emild@leatherlegion.com or contact me here through pm's as i have few of them made ready to be shipped.

Thank you !  

I would definitely need to have adjustable heat. Some foils are picky about heat and will have fuzzy edges if the heat is too high.