Mark842

What Model Landis Stitcher Is This?

post-29879-0-64408100-1369107979_thumb.j Can any one identify what model Landis stitcher this is from the photo and tell me a little about it and what it might be worth?

That sir is a landis 16. I do not have any idea of what it is worth but in the day they were revered.

I found this in the local classifieds for $2000. I'm wondering if I should go take a look at it. Seems like whatever leather product I do, it leads to wanting to do something heavier. I'm looking for something that will sew several layers of 10-12 ounce veg tanned.

If I was near Idaho I would buy that machine as fast as I can. The Landis #16 is a needle and awl machine, the awl pierces the leather from the top and the needle follows it from the bottom. It is widely used by the Amish, and there is a person in Arthur, Illinois that makes parts for them.It is not good for sewing fabric or nylon, the open eye needle catches the filaments. It will sew about 3/4" or more. Attachments are hard to find, needles and awls are available. I use 415 nylon in my Landis #3, predecessor to the #16. Take some leather with you and try it out. $2,000.00 is a good price, keep in mind that it is a very heavy machine in mass weight.

Thank you. I will make some phone calls today. I have reason to believe it may be some sort of scam. While researching "Landis 16's" for sale I found the same picture being used for someone selling it in Tyler TX as the one in Idaho. Guess it will either be there or not. It does look heavy but I do have a small diesel flat bed truck with a cherry picker on it. Sounds look it might be a good machine to have in my growing arsenal of leather sewing toys.

Did you get this?