l2bravo

Question About Different Leathers

I am only a couple of months deep, but learning fast. I am building mostly shotgun shell pouches, but have made a couple of belts as well.

So far, I have used some veg-tan, and have ordered some Oil from the Leather Guy. My question is with Chrome tanned. What is it for? Does it sew/act like oil? Does it have some property that makes it more suited for something? Is it as good as Oil?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks in advance for the help. Josh

Oil tanned is chrome tanned but with a fancy name. Its called oil tanned because its usually heavily treated with oils/waxes which helps if its something that will get exposed to the elements.

The majority of leather out there is chrome tanned and there are many different variations. On average it is usually much softer and wont patina like veg tan does. Think leather for jackets, pants, etc.. You wouldnt really want to make those things out of veg tan for a variety of reasons.

Ive never tried any oil tanned from Leather Guy so I cant comment. However I have used Tandy Stoned Oil Tanned and Zach White's Crazy Horse leather. Both are on the firmer side which is nice.

So more specifically I guess, what is the noticable fifference in Chromexel, and oil tanned? Are they pretty well interchangeable? Will the Chromexel still feel "oily"?

Chromexcel is a chrome and vegetable tanned hybrid specific to Horween. As a whole no its not as oily as most oil tanned leathers Ive used. Chromexcel is usually a tad firmer and allows you to burnish edges as you would on veg tan. The majority of straight chrome tanned stuff cant be burnished that way.

I would pick Chromexcel over any oil tanned Ive ever used if price wasnt a factor. Horween makes really nice leathers but can get pricey. You can order small pieces from Ebay or Springfield Leather. Might not be the top grade but youll get the idea.

Hi,

I am new to leather, this is my first year. I purchased some Sedgwick bridle butt 3.5-4mm for belts. From Abby Leather.It is a really nice looking piece of leather. My question is what would be the best way to crease it? I tried a wet sponge, and used a wooden Osborn creaser and a adjustable one from Tandy. The leather repels the water, that didn't work so well. I was thinking of heating the Tandy creaser. I tried on a scrap piece and there was no big difference from the wooden one. I don't want to ruin the belt blank. I'm I using the right creaser? I love the way the belt looks when finished, I think it would look better with the lines.

Jim

Edited by club49

You need to use a metal crease, easiest is an adjustable screw crease to follow the edge and heat it so a wet finger sizzles when touched against the metal, then test on a small sample to make sure not too hot and then crease the edge, the amount of pressure required can be worked out to get the crease you want. One warming is more than enough to crease a single belt. This is the way that Walsall trained saddlers use.

Thank you 5way, I tried it today and it worked out fine.

Jim