Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Most Profitable Braiding Projects?

It seems to me that hondas and scarf slides have to be about the most profitable of the potential rawhide projects. I think with all the string prep and braiding I likely spend 2 to 3 hours doing a honda and maybe a hour on a scarf slide. I can sell a honda for $30 - $40 and a scarf slide for about $20. The bosals and the set of reins I made took me weeks of evening work (1 - 3 hours at a time).

Good think I don't look for this to really make me any money, I'd starve to death. ;D Another quick question what style of honda do you find sells better San Juan or Mexican Swivel? Anyone do a Mexican Swivel in 8 strand vs 4?

Mike

Forty views and no one has any opinions on what projects are profitable? This place doesn't work very well if everyone just lurks in the shadows.:whatdoyouthink::whistle:

Forty views and no one has any opinions on what projects are profitable? This place doesn't work very well if everyone just lurks in the shadows.:whatdoyouthink::whistle:

What do you think about trade a comment ????

I am a braider just like you , i do it as a hobby but i dont do hondas or much raw hide , the only raw hide i do is for my bosal cores so it is a bit hard for me to coment on your topic mate ,

But what do you think of mine ,,, braid a trade ????or trade a braid !!!!!,,

Cheer from down under

Bevan

Your work in roo is awesome Bevan. I am always open to barter. The only problem I see is most braided stuff I need or want I'd be inclined to give it a go myself. Trying to stir up trades between the braiders and the carvers/stampers might work better than braider 2 braider. Although I've been thinking maybe I should get a whip to crack, not sure that is a project I want to try to tackle.

What type of project you figure has your best profit for your time invested? Doesn't have to be in rawhide. Speaking of rawhide you should try making a bosal with rawhide sometime, I think you would do fine.

Bracelets are the most profitable for me. They use very little roo and they pretty easy for me to make. I'm still not making a million though..LOL.

I would have to say bracelets are pretty profitable. Im just getting tired of working on knots that are so small. I think I need to make a bosal or 2 and get away from bracelets for a while lol

Braided bit hobbles, shuflies, and leather cheek bosals, and putting pinapple knots on rope mecates are the most profitable for me.

in the past my most profitable was leashes out of roo. at shows they sell by the inch. also one of my most popular items at shows was a leather slip lead with a sliding knot to limit the slide. call them western slip leads.

Bracelets, Necklaces & Walking Sticks, or Hiking Sticks & Dog Leashes seem to be working for me at the moment.

Brian...

San Juan Hondas is what I've been building and selling through an internet website of someone else. Have started building Bosals with rawhide bodies and Roo buttons. Lots of learning curve there and need to sell some to pay for my Roo habit. No profit but just felt the need to get back in after quite a few years and learning from 2 old rawhiders. Also, keeps me busy on rainy days. Megabit, your honda looks good. Did you stretch it over anything or build it to size? Thanks for all the info on this page. Brad

Megabit, your honda looks good. Did you stretch it over anything or build it to size? Thanks for all the info on this page. Brad

That one I just built to size.

Megabit, I'm far from an expert on building these hondas but I learned long ago to braid them pretty small (two thumbs for the hole) and then drive them over a shaped piece of wood or slide in wedges and expand them to the correct size. This takes the stretch out at the very start. They can keep getting bigger and bigger if you use them in wet weather if made full size. One shaper is a spoke out of an old wagon wheel rasped down to a point. I use 3/8 bolts with the heads trimmed down for the rope hole. After you drive it onto the shaped piece of wood with the bolt in place, boil the whole honda in rolling boiling water for about ninety seconds. Take out and let dry for 2-3 days. That takes the sap out and and there is no more stretch left. I then put my burner on and put it right back on the same shaper and boil just that part in shallow water for 20 seconds. You're going to get some of the honda under the burner again but when thats dry its as hard as its ever going to get. The only way ive built a swivel type was to put the San Juan on a rope, get it straight, and then put a neck down the rope. Not really swivel but keeps the rope from breaking down under the honda. I hope this is understandable. Brad

Thanks Brad,

I think I'll give your process a try. Do you stretch your string before you cut it to size? I tend to cut mine to about 3/4 and stretch it between posts for a few days before I cut and split it to size. That takes a good amount of the stretch out.

Mike

Megabit, since i have to buy all my hides I cut my Honda strings just a little over 1/4 " and split then size them up from there. 3/8ths plus some would be better. My finish string is just under 1/4 and 1/8th thick. The split bullhides from Bill Confer will give you plenty of leeway. ten years ago I figured out a shape of Honda I liked and had a friend build me 3 tapered stretching forms. I can put 2 hondas on each stick with one just a little smaller then the other. As for boiling the hondas get yourself a wide deep pot and keep it seperate from the wifes. Keeps everyone happier.Brad

Mike, my most profitable braided things are like you said: Hondas and slides. Little things that look hard, but they really don't take alot of time. I do make good money with my bosals, but I have a pretty good system down that enables me to be very efficient and since I do a lot of them, I will build a bunch at a time. Stopping and starting eats up time and that is loosing money. That's why those little projects are so profitable. You can do them in one sitting and you don't really have to bounce around too much prepping string and what not.

I shoe horses on the side and my most profitable customers are the trims. I can do up to 6 trims in an hour if the horses are standing good and well organized. I can shoe a horse (building new shoes) in an hour. At $110 for shoes and $40 for a trim, do the math.

For me, the most profitable item thus far is braided rings in plain leathers.

Much like the slide I suspect they look hard but only take ten to fifteen minutes a piece. Use less than a metre of thong usually.

I think these sell quickly because they are made for the customer there and then, in the colour they want.

I have even taken to adding a sign that states, I will teach you how to make your own ring for the price of another ring. It's great for kids at the right age learning to do craft work.

I would like to think doing bracelets is the next best for the little material it takes but I cannot afford to buy a few skins just to start a hundred bracelets.

Leashes are easier to braid because of the size but can be sold for more and they probably take nearly the same time to make.

i too have been having quite a bit of luck selling leashes, i have found that this is because dog people (especially ones with tiny dogs) tend to have a lot more money than brains in comparison to horse people, although there is alot more pride in building a set of romals or a bosal than braiding a leash for the taco bell dog, leashes have been really hot for me this last little while. I also make a paracord stock whip that works really good, for the time and money that goes into it, that has been fairly popular this summer.

I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd because I can't sell a taco bell dog lead to save my life. LOL I even stopped making them except on commission. Oh well, they aren't particularly interesting to make anyway.

I made a ring 8thSinner. It was a 5 part 9 bight with a gaucho interweave. I really didn't like it. Just to wide and made my fingers look fat. It looked good on my neighbor though.

Just don't steal all my customers...

Good job on making one though, did your neighbor buy it?

No, I tossed it, it was to big for her and I don't want people to think I make them. It's really a wonderful idea but not for me. It's the silver that gives it a special look and I won't do those. I posted your silver ones on my facebook page. A few people really seemed to like them.

Thanks very much. You should link in to our face book too

I can only attach photos to your facebook. I'll attach yours to mine though.