leathervan

A Little Trick For Using Edge Paint

I don't know if this is anything new but I have had problems putting edge paint on a belt due to tiny smudges(and sometimes not so tiny) of paint that get on the flat side of the belt. So what I did was use some painters tape that I had laying around and except for one small smudge it worked great at getting the paint on without any smudges. The one smudge that happened was where the painters tape overlapped another strip of tape so there was a small place where paint got on the flat side of the belt. Next time that won't happen. The painters tape is designed to paint an exact line of paint next to where the paint isn't suppose to be. Anyone try that before?

I used the tape once to do a checkerboard pattern. I did up the pattern with alternating white black blocks and I would say it came out well enough. If you look close, you can see some smudges and slightly less than perfect lines but, all-in-all I was happy with the results.post-18715-0-19636400-1454453981_thumb.j

I've tried this before and I wasn't satisfied with the results. If the tape isn't perfectly adhered the paint will seep in without noticing. At least without the tape I can wipe the paint off quickly before it dries.

Every one has different tricks to achieve a good end result. However everything takes training and experience and more training. Even using automatic edge color machines, as they use for bag manufacturing, you need an experienced operator to achieve good end result.

My own experience - doing it by hand, is to have as good burnished and polished edge before applying the edge paint and make sure that everything is straight. Correct 'wobbly' side lines with long angled light strokes with sandpaper.

My experience is also that it generally works better with a more flat edge than a rounded one. Another thing to keep in mind, is that rarely - even when machines are used - a good finish is achieved with one or two coats. Often several, sometimes even a two digit number of times, letting it dry and sanded with fine grit sandpaper in between, is needed until a desired look is achieved. One of the great urban myths in leather work is that it's faster and cheaper to use edge paint or that it's only cheap knock off brands that are doing it. You mainly use it with non vegetable leather to get a professional look. It always rub me up the wrong way when I see hipster leather workers/brand claim that they don't want to hide the leather by burnishing/edge paint it. Great lie, only to save time on producing. But I guess that's business sense today. Sorry for the rant and good luck!