BoBandy

Questions About My First Holster

This is my first leather working project. I bought a holster kit from my local Tandy store. The box lists all the stuff that comes in it but also says I will need leathercraft glue (no problem there) and finish (small problem). I bought some Tan Kote, because, hey it says 'finish' on it. When I get the box open the instructions say "Apply a finish (Super Shene, Satin Shene or Block-Out) on inside of holster to prevent loose leather fibers (crocking) from getting into pistol's mechanism."

So, will Tan Kote work for this application?

And should I oil the leather before I finish it?

BoBandy, Don't sweat it. If you have tan kote and want to use that, OK. Kinda a run what you brung situation. Sure you could use those other chems or none of them or none at all. Options exist, is it especially "fuzzy"? you could sand it with a sanding block/paper, use beeswax and burnish it in, or a lighter to burn the worst off and do nothing more. I have found in leather working there are few absolutes.

Bro Tim

This...is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was afraid that sand paper would only make the fuzz worse. Today I'll be doing the wet forming but once its dry I'll try burning off the fuzzies. Thanks for the tips.