paprhangr

My 1St Go At Making A Seat

special thanx to Billy McCabe for walking me through the steps. Thanks to Benlilly , David T threads and to Chief for his Round Braid how to video's

Made this for my Bobber

homemade.jpg

myseat.jpg

Edited by paprhangr

Paprhangr, that looks GREAT!! You should be proud of that seat!

Thanks.

I really enjoyed making The seat.The tricky part was getting the top and bottom pattern/ holes made. Had to make a second go at the bottom piece. The work is in the braiding, when going in the 1/8" hole with 1/4" lace the second time,

Had to use the pliers and a fid took awhile, and wiped neets foot oil on each strand of roo. The air brush made the dye fading easy and resolean finish.

I'm already thinking about making another but I only have one motorcycle.

I'm already thinking about making another but I only have one motorcycle.

SO!! :)

Seat looks great, and even better on the scoot!! :thumbsup:

very cool :thumbsup: is that a shadow 750 but hard tailed

and do you have a link to the how to vidios for the brading i need to learn how to do that

I started with a Kawasaki Vulcan 800A. soft tail

here is the page that has the links to Chief's" how to do round braid"video's

http://leatherworker...showtopic=41128 this link helped also

http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page100.html

this was my first time doing round braid. at first it seemed confusing

but once I could see this stiching pattern it made sense,

under over forward 3,

then over under back 2

Edited by paprhangr

the tool to ream out the holes,ice pick, ground down phillips, my stylus came with my Tandy tool kit

worked good

Has any one used the Dremel work station turns rotary tool into a mini drill press?

Seems like it would speed things up by drilling the 200+ holes instead of punching?

Edited by paprhangr

I have a Dremel work station set up on my table works great for putting the holes in. Your seat looks great very nice job.

Has any one used the Dremel work station turns rotary tool into a mini drill press?

Seems like it would speed things up by drilling the 200+ holes instead of punching?

I think the holes are a lot cleaner from punching. But, there are a lot of people who use the dremel with success. I use my dremel press with a burnisher in it for 2 handed guiding of the work through the burnisher.

I use my dremel press with a burnisher in it for 2 handed guiding of the work through the burnisher.

hows that work? sounds like a drill press is handy to have for leatherwork

hows that work? sounds like a drill press is handy to have for leatherwork

If you haven't seen what the dremel press is, it's a little device similar to a drill press that you attach a dremel to and it lets you move the dremel up and down in a controlled fashion. But, it also incrementally rotates 90 degrees. I have mine setup horizontally with the my dremel burnisher so I can see what's going on a lot easier and just run my belts and guitar straps through it real quick with both hands.

This is the one I bought, but it looks like they have a different version now. If you're interested in it, keep in mind that it's only technically compatible with certain models of dremel. They're all listed there I think. Basically, it just has to fit in the carriage. I had another battery operated dremel that wouldn't work on it, so I went and bought a new one to fit the press.

http://www.amazon.co...8952287-0599345

I don't think it's a replacement for an actual drill press, but as far as burnishing and sanding, it's pretty handy in order to keep both hands free. I'm actually looking for a full size drill press right now, but I need to get a new bench built to house stuff like that.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

i picked up a $90 bench top drill press at HF, on sale $60,

Drill presses are very handy in leather work. I use both a full size drill press and a dremel drill press. I keep one of Bearman's burnishers mounted in the large drill press, works great, use it on almost every job.

Great looking Seat, excellent job, glad the video helped.

Chief

thanks Chief, could you explain how to burnish using a large drill press (or a link)

im new and have only used a edger and a slicker

Questions:

has anyone made a bobber/chopper seat pan out of fiberglass?

when using the drill press, is there a drill bit that will make a clean hole in leather?

when using the drill press, is there a drill bit that will make a clean hole in leather?

Forstner

Regards

Michael

any you guys who make seats ever use a pan that has the rear mounting bolts spaced 6" on center?

any you guys who make seats ever use a pan that has the rear mounting bolts spaced 6" on center?

All the time. I make my own pans and set them 6" apart.

Oh, nice work on the seat!

Edited by bustedlifter

Thanks for the post and complement.

I noticed a lot of rear pans bolts are 7", the new pan I got came 6". Wanted hear from someone with 6" mounting

Before I start work on new seat,