leatheroo

viking shoes tutorial

found this great tutorial..http://earthandliving.blogspot.com/2008/08/viking-shoes-tutorial-sort-of.html

I might give these a try

Viking_shoes_by_huldremor.jpg

post-4514-1221514326_thumb.jpg

Bravo Roo :clapping:

Never seen or heard of this type before but they are very cool and look like easy fun to make.

Good finding!

Tom

Those are ghillie brogues -- IIRC, more Irish than Norse, but since Dublin was settled by the Norse... well, you do the math. I've tried on similar shoes, and didn't care for them, but other people love them dearly. I'll stick with my Jorvik boots.

They look great and a lot of work..... "a gloryfied way to go barefooted"?

Edited by Luke Hatley

For a little more durability and water resistance, you could hit the bottom of them with this stuff: http://www.sodhoppers.com/html/goop.html

Off topic: the guy at that link makes really nice moccasins...

I have a pair and they are comfortable. The above post is right. They are usually called Ghillies and are normally attributed to the Scots and/or Irish. However, they are considerably older than that. Here is a link http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carls...istofplates.htm that if you follow to the South Kensington Museam you will find a Frankish shoe that is strikingly familiar to the Ghillie. By the way, if you have never seen it, the enitre site is worth looking at. From Jacks to cavalier boots to oriental shoes there are some interesting examples. One clever person even put the words to the leather bottel down for your enjoyment, but you have to look for it.

Those are ghillie brogues -- IIRC, more Irish than Norse, but since Dublin was settled by the Norse... well, you do the math. I've tried on similar shoes, and didn't care for them, but other people love them dearly. I'll stick with my Jorvik boots.

after the Norse left Ireland they settled here on my hill, how cool is that, they look cool I am going to make a pair for my viking costume.

Looks like just the footwear I need to wear to the upcoming season of lutefisk/meatball supper/pickled herring feasts. Tak skal du have.

As well as being the Cowboy capital of the world, Oakdale ca must also be the weird food festival capital of the world.

Looks like just the footwear I need to wear to the upcoming season of lutefisk/meatball supper/pickled herring feasts. Tak skal du have.

I'll step in and reply for Roo, she busy in the backroom toilets powdering her nose wich usually generate a long que outside it. I can hear several of the team members jumping around out there on one leg;-)

Tack själv Bruce!

Tom

Don't forget the lefsa, and Klug. Probably why my blood pressure is high, all those potato dumplings and salt pork broth. My family calls it cumlah, even had a song to the tune of the koolaid commercial. Pretty silly but brings back good family memories.

Don't forget the lefsa, and Klug. Probably why my blood pressure is high, all those potato dumplings and salt pork broth. My family calls it cumlah, even had a song to the tune of the koolaid commercial. Pretty silly but brings back good family memories.

How that brings back lots of memories. meatballs, Lutefisk, lefsa, and klug with lots of butter on it. do you have a recipe for klug been trying for years to get one. don't live any where near this kind of food any more. and my mom took it with her when she died.. fryed sliced klug leftovers for breakfast my mouth is watering.. :spoton:

Edited by hiloboy

Equal parts peeled and finely grated potatoes (russets) and white flour, lots and lots of mixing with a big wooden spoon ( a food processor can be used but the texture is just not right in my opinion) salt and pepper to taste, boiled in a water and salt pork broth (that has been bubbling for quite awhile) for about an hour or when they kinda float they are pretty much done. I usually make 5 lbs at a time. Watch out for boil over, happens at least once each time I make it. I had to rely on the recipe as passed down from an aunt, as my grandmother passed before I could get it directly from her. Serve hot with the salt pork and a mug of dipping broth. Mmmmm absolute early morning heaven, sliced and fried in butter with over easy eggs and bacon. Funny story.... It has been used as a kind of right of passage or welcome to the family as a perspective soul mate meter by myself and my siblings over the years. worked pretty good for me, 1st one hated it only lasted a year, second one loved it and has been 26 years and still going strong. Same for my brother and sister. LOL

Equal parts peeled and finely grated potatoes (russets) and white flour, lots and lots of mixing with a big wooden spoon ( a food processor can be used but the texture is just not right in my opinion) salt and pepper to taste, boiled in a water and salt pork broth (that has been bubbling for quite awhile) for about an hour or when they kinda float they are pretty much done. I usually make 5 lbs at a time. Watch out for boil over, happens at least once each time I make it. I had to rely on the recipe as passed down from an aunt, as my grandmother passed before I could get it directly from her. Serve hot with the salt pork and a mug of dipping broth. Mmmmm absolute early morning heaven, sliced and fried in butter with over easy eggs and bacon. Funny story.... It has been used as a kind of right of passage or welcome to the family as a perspective soul mate meter by myself and my siblings over the years. worked pretty good for me, 1st one hated it only lasted a year, second one loved it and has been 26 years and still going strong. Same for my brother and sister. LOL

Are these just basically potato pancakes? Is klug the correct spelling, cant find reference to them anywhere.

My family calls it cumlah, klug is a name a friends family called it, they actually stuffed long cheesecloth tubes with the mix then boiled it. It is essentially heavy potato and flour dumplings about fist size, cooked in salt pork broth. I was told it originated with the Norse fishermen as it would not spoil when packed in barrels and salted down. There is a site I found but can not remember the name (it was a couple of years ago), that was related to Norwiegen cooking, and geneology, there was a section on recipes passed down through the years in immigrant families in the U.S. Try search for Klubb or Kumle with an umlout over the e apparently a northern specialty for the holidays.

Edited by Jordan

Hmm, wonder what the Norwegians ate before they brought potatoes back from the new world (rocks and cheese?) I am also of Scandahoovian extraction, but my Grandmother was not a big cook so about all that came down was lefsa. Don't know about this klug stuff, though it sounds strangley attractive. I place lutefisk firmly in "my ancestors moved here so they wouldn't have to eat stuff like that anymore" category.

Here's another simple norse type shoe pattern and instruction:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpet...nstruction.html

a bit trickier to make come out right though.

My family calls it cumlah, klug is a name a friends family called it, they actually stuffed long cheesecloth tubes with the mix then boiled it. It is essentially heavy potato and flour dumplings about fist size, cooked in salt pork broth. I was told it originated with the Norse fishermen as it would not spoil when packed in barrels and salted down. There is a site I found but can not remember the name (it was a couple of years ago), that was related to Norwiegen cooking, and geneology, there was a section on recipes passed down through the years in immigrant families in the U.S. Try search for Klubb or Kumle with an umlout over the e apparently a northern specialty for the holidays.

thanks Jordan!

Yumpin yiminy, another scandahoovian, yahh shure, ever been to minni sota :NEWFUNNYPOST::grouphug5vj5::rofl: funny how we americans can come up with these terms of endearment for our heratidge.Sorry for the hijak of the tread sometimes I get carried away.

Edited by Jordan

Yumpin yiminy, another scandahoovian, yahh shure, ever been to minni sota :NEWFUNNYPOST::grouphug5vj5::rofl: funny how we americans can come up with these terms of endearment for our heratidge.Sorry for the hijak of the tread sometimes I get carried away.

god dag!!

My dad is from Sherburn, minni sota, you can add me as another scandahoovian!! Grandpa hardly spoke english, sadly I only saw him twice in my life.... :-(

thanks Jordan, for the recipe.. i remember my mom putting a chunk of salt pork into each dumpling then cooking it the way you said..i'm one of those

scandahoovian from Minni sota .... went of to war after high school.. married a Hawaiian girl and never got to go back home. gave up lutefisk for raw fish :thumbsup: thanks again for the memories...

Edited by hiloboy

I LOVE these shoes! I favorited them on DaviantArt! Now I know how to go about making them! As far as my favorite viking shoes, I like turn-shoes for their versatility. The neat thing is that they are essentially the same as Eastern Woodland center-seam moccassins, so I get to re-use some of my reenacting items!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

thanks Jordan, for the recipe.. i remember my mom putting a chunk of salt pork into each dumpling then cooking it the way you said..i'm one of those

scandahoovian from Minni sota .... went of to war after high school.. married a Hawaiian girl and never got to go back home. gave up lutefisk for raw fish :thumbsup: thanks again for the memories...

Ha ha lutfisk, usch vad jag inte gillar det, blä å fy bubblan!!

(Yuck that's horrible, I don't like! Twi and spit!)

Tom

This thread just gave me an idea for my own mocs pattern...I think I am gonna try using the 2mm suede in sand, with a 1mm leather wrap over the top. Hopefully I can just take it up further on the back for an almost knee high finish.

Thanks for sharing this pattern.

Much obliged

At the risk of reviving a thread that has been dead for quite some time... how do you folks think these would fair if they were made from a 2mm thick suede? Mind you, the sole would be thicker, and eventually rubber (probably Vibram).

Any thoughts?