cowboy bill

Leather Thickness For Headstalls?

i have side of 12 oz skirting, probablt 10 oz toward bottom, Question: is this good for headstalls and not lining it???? i will oil it good. any help appreciated, BILL

Bill, it's been my experience that skirting doesn't last long for headstalls, if not lined. Harness leather will hold up well, but if using skirting, I think it needs to be lined. JW

Bill - I have been using 10-12 OZ leather on headstalls, both lined and unlined, have have had very good luck with them. In fact the

headstall on my personal using saddle is over 20 yrs old and going strong,

Bill, it's been my experience that skirting doesn't last long for headstalls, if not lined. Harness leather will hold up well, but if using skirting, I think it needs to be lined. JW

thanks for the reply. i have some really thin horse hide, it seems awful tuff. its cheap. that should work???? latigo is expensive and there in sprinfield( MO)

they only have thick hides of latigo. . i mainly bought that hide of skirting for spur straps. i have some straps made ouit of 12 -14 oz shirting that i have had used for years, and are in good shape ( but then i probably over oil my stuff) of course leather on horses face is subject to sweat. i'm gonna line headstall with the horsehide unless i find out not to. thanks again for the info.

we could trade some ozark rocks for flint hill rocks? BILL

Bill, I don't see why the horse hide wouldn't work fine for lining. You've got it right, it's been my experience that sweat will wreck an unlined skirting headstall pretty quick, if it's being used hard. By that, I mean being used every day by someone making their living horseback, which is the situation that most of what I make is subjected to. Rocks,...well, in the case of the Flint Hills here, rocks are a good thing. The hills are primarily limestone, with flint on top. That situation is what has preserved the last 2% of the native tallgrass prairie in the world right here. It's why this is great grass ranch country , as opposed to being farmerville. JW

I've made quite a few bridles for customers, out of double-ply veg tan leather. I sew it so its grain side out on both sides. Only one of those customers does "work" with his bridle, though. But so far they've all been holding up well! I do encourage my customers to keep they're tack clean and oiled, so that will help them last longer, but I will keep in mind maybe using a thicker veg tan and just lining the bridles.

What kind of leather is best for lining? I don't think my local Tandy Leather carries horse hide.

I use 14 oz leather that isn't taned all the way through. It has a lot of rawhide in it and never seems to stretch or brake. But when I started out I'd make em out of 6 -7 oz stuff it strtched but every one wanted them