Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Bullfrog Holster For My Cz75

Last month I picked up an awesome polished stainless CZ75B in 9mm. I bought the VZ grips even before taking delivery of the pistol.

Had a customer who wanted a bullfrog pocket holster for his LCP so I called up John Fong and ordered half a dozen frog skins and told him to surprise me with the colors.

When I opened the package from John I was excited to see one particular skin as it seemed to match my grips pretty closely.

So anyway, heres the pancake holster I built for it. both the front and the back panel are two layers of 4-5oz Hermann Oak leather with flesh sides cemented together to create a "lined" holster.

The frog skin is pretty tough stuff and between that and a large group of elephant holsters I'm in the middle of it killed the needle on my Tippman Boss stitcher.

Anyway, heres the pic.

Oh ya, it's kinda hard to detail mold through 2 layers of leather like that.

1.jpg

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Very nice and thanks for being willing to share your knowledge. I appreciated the feedback you gave me on the 1911 thumb break. I'm learning as I go and soak up as much as I can off this forum. Again, awesome holster and thanks for the help.

I've had some elephant sitting in the corner for the better part of a year.... I think you have motivated me, nice rig!

Elephant never sits long enough to get dusty around here. I recently purchased a 25 ft/2 piece to make full elephant belts from.

Matt: I learn a lot from this forum. I would still be making landfill material if it werent for this website and the helpful people in this forum particularly. It makes me feel good to be able to give back in the rare opportunity that I can.

That looks awesome! I need to try my hand at some exotics. I have a guy that wants an ostrich holster for his 1911 but I have been afraid to ruin a nice piece of ostrich.

Last month I picked up an awesome polished stainless CZ75B in 9mm. I bought the VZ grips even before taking delivery of the pistol.

Had a customer who wanted a bullfrog pocket holster for his LCP so I called up John Fong and ordered half a dozen frog skins and told him to surprise me with the colors.

When I opened the package from John I was excited to see one particular skin as it seemed to match my grips pretty closely.

So anyway, heres the pancake holster I built for it. both the front and the back panel are two layers of 4-5oz Hermann Oak leather with flesh sides cemented together to create a "lined" holster.

The frog skin is pretty tough stuff and between that and a large group of elephant holsters I'm in the middle of it killed the needle on my Tippman Boss stitcher.

Anyway, heres the pic.

Oh ya, it's kinda hard to detail mold through 2 layers of leather like that.

1.jpg

Shooter, you done good!. Generally I don't care much for overlay on a piece, but in this case you did it perfectly, and matched to the grips so well one wonders if you wandered into frog breeding just to get the match! Mike

Hi Shooter. I came to this forum looking for Katass and found a beautiful example by you. AND found katass. I'm getting some of the small pieces of exotics from SLC and I'm going to make my first guitar strap PLUS use my first exotic. I asked a friend if she'd ever done inlay and she sent me in search of katass, and I found your overlay instead. I'm going to look for his inlays too but at least I know this is an option that can look beautiful. And yours does, it's really beautiful. Cheryl

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Cheryl, I dont really do a traditional "inlay" as such, but I have done a few in this style, not sure what it's called though.

IMG_4489Custom.jpg

226gator1.jpg

Most exotics do better as inlays IMO but some work very well as overlays. Elephant and ostrich both ten to burnish nicely. Ostrich leg does OK. Stingray, gator, and snake not so much. These are just my observations.

FWIW, the bag of exotics I bought from SLC consisted of a couple of snake skin pieces, a mixture of elephant scraps, a shred or two of ostrich, and a heck of a lot of lizard butts. If you can tell me whats in yours when you get it I would be appreciative.

Where did you get the bullfrog from?

Awesome job. I love how the inlay adds curves to the holster.