aspanol

What Length Should The Belt Hole Be Punched?

The 'fixing length' of a belt is usually 2 or 3 inches greater than waist size, because of the thickness of the waistband of the trousers (pants). The safest method of measuring is to use a belt that you have worn, and measure from the end of the buckle to the point where you most often fasten the belt (see pic). This will be the centre hole of the new belt.

post-7199-095684600 1294589705_thumb.jpg

The first thing you need to know when making a belt is this; what ever size the pants you wear the size above that is the belt size you need. Like you wear a 32 pants your belt size is 34.

To make a belt from scratch you will add 9 inches to the size of your belt. Your 34 inch belt is 43 inches long for the blank. At one end of the blank make these measurements. I use an English point for all of my buckles. Measure in 1/2" to the first hole, this is for a line 24 or line 20 snap which ever one you use. Measure the next hole 1 1/.2" from the first hole. This too is a snap location. The next hole is for the buckle

I use 1 1/2" buckle on a 1 1/2" belt some folks use 1 3/8ths buckles. This hole is usually made with a bag punch 1 1/2" long. The distance from the last snap hole to the buckle hole is 3/4". The next hole is at the end of the belt buckle hole. It too is 3/4" from the end of the buckle hole. The final hole is 1 1/2" from the previous hole. These next holes are where the belt size is obtained. Measure from the center of the buckle hole to the size you want the belt to be in your case the hole will be marked at 34" this is the center of the hole layout. I use 5 holes at 1 1/4" apart. 2 on the right and 2 on the left of the center hole and I leave 3 1/2" to the end of the belt. Finally I would dye what ever color you want it to be; edge the material I use bees wax on the edges you can use what ever you would like and I seal every thing with Febings Resolene. If you are going to do any tooling you can do it now if you want to.

Have fun making this stuff.