Sign in to follow this  
Buddytink

Books On Making Horse Tack

Ive never done any kind of leather work, but I've always wanted to, just dont know where to start. I would like to make horse tack, like; bridles, breast collars, bronc halters, etc (smaller stuff at first) Ive been thinking that maybe I should get some books, but when I start looking for books there are a TON of them. So does anyone have any ideas on what some good books are for beginners that want to get into making horse tack?? (I'd also have to learn about the different tools to use as well, so would the book tell me about this as well??)

Welcome to the forum buddytink. I'm new to leatherworking as well, but IMO it is well worth the time to get a beginners kit from Tandy. It helps you get the feel for the basic tools and gives you lots to practice on. There are several places that carry books on making tack. I'm sure one of the experienced saddle and tack makers will chime in for book recommendations. Good Luck. Leatherworking is an addiction.

Buddytink,

For a book on tools I don't think that you can really beat Al Stohlman's 'Leathercraft Tools' and his 'The Art of Handsewing Leather' for starters.

I can tell you about books on English tack but I think I'll let someone with better knowledge than me address western tack.

Gary

"Western Tack Tips" and "More Western Tack Tips" are very good books. Tom Hall is the author and they are available from Hidecrafter

welcome,

i have many of books on leathercraft, but what ive found is that the best book is experience.

i will assume you have horses in your area so....

look for some local barns in your area and go and introduce yourself and what you are planning to do. make sure to call before you drop in since some barns are private or the managers/instructors are busy with students/horses. once there, i would ask if they have any broke/no longer use tack for you to keep/examine and dissect. dissecting tack is a great way of learning how it was made and especially where they fail since you will sometimes see common themes where tack breaks.

also, look for some local tack shops and see if they have any broken/not wanted tack.

then there are local "tack sales", garage/house/farm/flea market sales too. but i wouldnt pay or if needed, pay as little as possible for broke or worn out tack.

i think you will find the book by Sohlman "how to make holsters" is a good book on saddle stitching with lots of pictures and good info on making rolled items. It isnt a bridle/tack making book, but the principles are the same especially when it comes to hand stitching if you plan on doing it by hand.

once you get into it, then you will have more questions, but thats what this board is all about.

good luck.

Edited by $$hobby