Sarah C

Punctuation!?

How do you make such marks? Is there a tool set I'm missing? I only shop at Tandy (I'm new) so I'm not really aware of what else is offered.

Ps- I considered using a seeder for a period but the type I bought is flat inside (not open face), and the seeder is not completely flat (at least not the ones I have).

My type is also 1/4" tall, so these would have to be pretty small stamps to match. Should I just wing it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comma- CT H 904 quotes-repeat

periods- use a hole punch as a stamp. rap it lightly....

exclamations & ? marks- swivel knife & awl

Comma- CT H 904 quotes-repeat

periods- use a hole punch as a stamp. rap it lightly....

exclamations & ? marks- swivel knife & awl

For the comma- the sheer size of that stamp is the same height as the letters, and I'm not sure that would look right. Commas are about half the size of letters.

Hole punches are specifically open- the type i'm trying to match is this one: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Leather-Stamps/Easy-To-Do-Leather-Stamps/4903-01.aspx

I'd prefer something filled in.

And I reallly don't think I'm that good with the swivel knife to be able to make a perfect question mark at 1/4" height, lol.

It probably seems like I'm being super picky, but I went to college for graphic design, and with three classes specifically in typography alone, I'm very aware of how letterforms interact with each other. An open period or a skinny swivel cut, in my mind, would throw my design off if the typeface is a chunky serifed one.

Thanks for your ideas, though. Mayhaps I can use the hole punch as an outline to fill in the circle (with what I have no idea- none of my tools are that tiny), and figure out how to handcarve the other marks. I just don't want them to obviously stand out from the typeface.

Have you tried walking the edge of a beveler stamp? Would take some practice likely, but you could probably get the shapes you want.

Could you look at some bookbinding / typeface tools maybe?

Natalie

I use old metal print type. Lots of sets available on ebay and at antique stores. Some places sell by the piece which means you only need to buy the ones you need.

Bill B.

I use old metal print type. Lots of sets available on ebay and at antique stores. Some places sell by the piece which means you only need to buy the ones you need.

Bill B.

Hey, thanks! Bet I could probably even find some in that exact typeface!

Just be careful when you use it. The old lead based type is soft and can deform under pressure. I did that to a set I had by using a stamp press and too much pressure. Wood Block of the newer aluminum type should work better.

BillB