J Hayes

New Osborne Splitter Blade Any Good?

I have an old 86 Osborne 6" splitter and have been fighting with the blade. The edge is soft and rolls over, getting very frustrated with it, way to much time has been wasted so I am looking for options.

1. Has anyone sent a blade out for hardening and tempering?

2. Has anyone gotten a new blade from Osborne and are they any good?

3. Get a whole new splitter, maybe from Bob?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy;

Osborne and sharp are two words that should never be used in the same sentence! :spoton:

Have you priced out duplicating that blade?

From what I have read, trying to re-harden something seldom produces good results.

Reaper,

Yes many reservations on a new one being sharp. Im looking into a good used one, meanwhile im going to have a knifemaker try hardening and tempering mine, its really no good the way it is, so even if it warps or cracks I won't be out much, i feel its worth a shot. I'll probably ask him about duplicating it too.

I have been told osborne uses a bi-metal blade. It sounds like your blade has been sharpened into the soft core metal. Have you checked with Cambpell- Randall? They sell the blades but they might make one for you to the same spec as the keystone splitter. It is fully tempered tool steel. I have never had to sharpen mine, just buff it in place occasionally.

I have been told osborne uses a bi-metal blade. It sounds like your blade has been sharpened into the soft core metal. Have you checked with Cambpell- Randall? They sell the blades but they might make one for you to the same spec as the keystone splitter. It is fully tempered tool steel. I have never had to sharpen mine, just buff it in place occasionally.

I was looking at their splitter actually, I might just give them a call. Does anyone have one of the Randall machines?

My blade dose appear to be a bi metal blade, the seam is a good 3/8" back from the edge though so there may be hope for it......

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

Jeremy I do have one and love it. I use it mostly for splitting roo lace to .8mm, but also use it for lapping veg-tan cow and latigo straps when I need to. It will handle 8" wide if you have the muscle to pull something that wide through it. It came sharp enough to use though I did buff it sharper after playing with it the first day.

Jeremy I do have one and love it. I use it mostly for splitting roo lace to .8mm, but also use it for lapping veg-tan cow and latigo straps when I need to. It will handle 8" wide if you have the muscle to pull something that wide through it. It came sharp enough to use though I did buff it sharper after playing with it the first day.

Good to know. It looks like a really nice splitter.

I see Weaver has a copy as does Zack White, both much less money than the Randall, I'm assuming those two are import copies? Lesser quality steel? The thickness settings on those looks less refined than on the Randall.

Edited by J Hayes

I couldnt find the Weaver splitter. Zacks handles about 1/2 the capacity(which would be fine for strands and belts) It also appears to be built more like the 86 with a spring mounted roller. I dont have any info on the quality of it. I do know when I finally sell my keystone, I will get most if not all of what I payed for it.

I couldnt find the Weaver splitter. Zacks handles about 1/2 the capacity(which would be fine for strands and belts) It also appears to be built more like the 86 with a spring mounted roller. I dont have any info on the quality of it. I do know when I finally sell my keystone, I will get most if not all of what I payed for it.

You're most likely right on the selling price, good tools seem difficult to find.