wildrose

Leatherwork In Movies

We saw Captain America tonight, and it brought to mind that I often find myself watching to see the costuming and how much leather is part of it. I wonder what you've seen that you've said to yourself: THAT'S really great work! In this case, and I'll try not to give away major plot points, I really liked his "uniform" after he got together with Howard Stark to make "modifications" to it.

I'm looking forward to Cowboys and Aliens too - and of course The Hobbit when it comes out.

Because of my textile background.. I ALWAYS look at the costumes.. nothing makes me get the 'itch to bitch' more than historical movies that use the wrong colours!!! peasants just didn't have access to the materials needed to make indigo, royal blue etc.. most plant dies are browns and greens.

So yep.. now I am playing with leather I am looking at the leather work to..or lack there of! if you look closely at old moves that depict roman soldiers, many of the breastplates that should have been leather are felt covered in boot polish..

Natalie

And I thought I was the only one that did this, sure am glad to hear from others, I was getting a little worried. I catch myself watching old period pieces, especially western and historical more for the leather than the plot. Some that come to mind are Jonah Hex, Jeremiah Johnson, The Mountain Men, Posse, The Magnificent Seven, you get the idea.

I can't remember if the new wonder womans costume is made of leather or not. I remember there being an interesting debate (more like a brutal hack and slash) from fans when her original costume (the one set for the upcoming movie) was found impractical. They made improvements (like exchanging the high heels for flat boots). That might be something worth looking more into.

Edited by JC Javelle

The new Wonder Woman, that was supposed to be a tv series, never got picked up. I think there was too much fan backlash.

I'm a big fan of medieval/fantasy movies, so I get a leather fix pretty regularly from films. Also, old westerns.

Hmmm, when I do a search for leather in movies I get films like The Adventures of Jane Bondage :lol:

I notice too, everything from full costumes, to leather cuffs and bags. It's funny, it's sort of like when you get a new car and then it seems like everyone is driving the same model.

I think of it like : Hmmmm, wonder if I could make that? LOL!

I also notice whenever hats have been stretched. You can clearly see the outline of the stretcher.

Kevin

They are getting ready to wrap up filming a 1980s rock and roll movie called Rock of Ages down here. Cant go into the details until after the release but I was hired to do the custom leather for it. Was a big detour from what I usually make but I had a lot of fun doing it. Now I cant wait to see it on the screen in July 2012.

oh yeah....thats the coolest....we used to braid leashes for one of the top dog handlers then every time he was showing at a dogshow that was on tv we could see our leashes...knowing you made that...thats the neatest thing ever.

In terms of leather costumes, I found that most of the medieval/fantasy movies have great realizations (ie Lord Of The Ring)

I watched Immortals last night. It was a good movie but hard to follow because I was constantly thinking of the leather armor and masks.

The first thing I thought of when I read the title was "Into the Wild" which actually has a leathercrafter as a character in it and they talk about a leathercrafting a little in the movie.