Sign in to follow this  
bkingery

Vinagaroon?

Hi all, I keep seeing posts that say they use vinagaroon but i don't know what it is, is it a soak and thats how they get such even color, and where can I get some. Also does it rub off if you use it alot and can you distress it.

thanks B

Hi all, I keep seeing posts that say they use vinagaroon but i don't know what it is, is it a soak and thats how they get such even color, and where can I get some. Also does it rub off if you use it alot and can you distress it.

thanks B

Vinegaroon is, essentially, vinegar and steel mixed together. If you use the Search box at the top of the forums and search for vinegaroon you will find all kinds of information

i used a gallon vinegar and 3 steel wool pads. let it sit about 3 weeks. i posted a couple pics of some belts i did with it and they turned out great

For detailed info, please use the search funtion, 'cause we've got pages and pages of info on it.

Vinegaroon is a chemical compound created by dissolving a ferrous (rustable) metal in acetic acid (vinegar). You get it by making it yourself, in whatever quantity you like. It gets better with age. You apply it with either a dip, brush, spoon, paper towel, etc. It turns the leather black through chemical reaction, and once dry, will not rub off. When making it, you might get some bleed out while the leather is wet, so blot dry with paper towels.