I understand some PVA glue is marketed for particular applications and that some PVA glue brands are stronger than other, presumably because they are more concentrated products. But PVA is PVA, right? Am I right in saying there's nothing else that makes a PVA glue product suitable for leatherworking other than an adequate strength/concentration?

What should I look out for? More specifically, is there a tried and trusted brand available for someone like me who lives in the UK?

White PVA is flexible. Yellow PVA used by woodworkers is not. Yellow glue used on leather, you will hear it crack every time you bend the article, until all the possible bend lines have been bent. Then it will be quiet!

Tom

I use Evostik Weatherproof PVA. Being weather proof the joint won't come apart if it gets damp or slightly wet.

I find the main difference between different white PVA glues is the amount of PVA in them. The ones you can buy at the store like Elmers are a lot more watered down than the book binding glues you can get online. I prefer the bookbinding glues because they are stronger and don't run and leak through your materials as easily. Here is a good one I've tried (Jade 403):

http://apps.bnt.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=18847