I've seen lots of recipes for finishing leather using tallow as an ingredient. All of the postings use rendered beef fat for the tallow. Would rendered deer fat work as well. Much easier to obtain where I am.

I don't know why it would be any different, though I must admit that I've never seen enough fat on a deer to make it worthwhile to use it for something.

Good point. Lots of hunters around here. I can accumulate a decent amount from several people.

Yep deer tallow is good stuff especially that from around the kidneys. I use it in a mix with bear grease or lard and beeswax for a form of dubbin.

Bear grease? You actually have a source for bear grease, Chuck?

BTW, good to see you're still vertical and ventilating!

Howdy Jack -

Yep I do - got a bunch last year from a friend. There's a taxidermy outfit that sells it on line - I'll see If I can find the address if your interested or do a search for both bear oil and bear grease.

I'm doing OK. Two months ago found that the last chemo I went through destroyed my bone marrow, so no transplant at this time anyway, and then they started a new treatment that has helped immensely. Platelets had been down to 17,000, and two weeks ago after just the first course they were back up to 127,000.

Just rendered down about 2 lbs of deer fat. Got about 12 oz of tallow. Im gonna mix it with beeswax and test it out. Is there anything else i should add? Maybe 100 % neatsfoot oil or lard?

gamli - I only add oil if the wax/tallow is to stiff. I want it fairly stiff, but soft and creamy enough to spread well without pre-heating although that doesn't hurt to melt and apply warm.

Thanks for the input Chuck.

I just combined 16 oz of tallow with about 3oz of beeswax. I'll try that and see how it works before I add any oil.