Sign in to follow this  
WScott

Playing With Thread Colors

I am a newbie here and in leather work, studying and doing small projects so far for just about a year now.

After doing a bit of saddle stitching, I was getting bored with the color selection for thread that Tandy had, so I decided to make my own.

I took some plain white waxed Tandy thread, de-waxed it with some acetone (nail polish remover) and tested dying it in different colors. The red and orange on the spool are from

Cova colors (acrylic paint) and the green stuff is a water based neon green model paint for an air brush. I dipped the thread into paint wrapped on a stick and let it soak

for an hour or so. Then did a wipe down with a cloth to take excess away and or fill in voids. Then hung it to dry....overnight is best. Next morning, I ran it through the bees wax and rolled them up.

If you have any dead areas, you can add color with a Sharpie marker if it matches the paint color.

The neon green really pops and matches my coffee mug well; the boring Tandy brown thread has nice contrast on my wife's brown mug, but not the same pop.

Just fooling around, hope someone finds this interesting. Finally figuring out the photo posting here hooooray!

Scott

post-23986-031047300 1332049665_thumb.jp

post-23986-038951600 1332049714_thumb.jp

post-23986-084537100 1332049787_thumb.jp

post-23986-014082500 1332049814_thumb.jp

post-23986-027178100 1332049861_thumb.jp

looks great!:thumbsup:

I am a newbie here and in leather work, studying and doing small projects so far for just about a year now.

After doing a bit of saddle stitching, I was getting bored with the color selection for thread that Tandy had, so I decided to make my own.

I took some plain white waxed Tandy thread, de-waxed it with some acetone (nail polish remover) and tested dying it in different colors. The red and orange on the spool are from

Cova colors (acrylic paint) and the green stuff is a water based neon green model paint for an air brush. I dipped the thread into paint wrapped on a stick and let it soak

for an hour or so. Then did a wipe down with a cloth to take excess away and or fill in voids. Then hung it to dry....overnight is best. Next morning, I ran it through the bees wax and rolled them up.

If you have any dead areas, you can add color with a Sharpie marker if it matches the paint color.

The neon green really pops and matches my coffee mug well; the boring Tandy brown thread has nice contrast on my wife's brown mug, but not the same pop.

I like the neon green. You can buy waxed thread dyed in lots of colors (except neon green) I agree Tandy's selection is a bit boring.

Great idea!

Question though--Have you ever considered buying unwaxed linen thread and dying that with Rit or leather dyes? That way you could skip the step of stripping off the wax and it might open up even more color options for you.

Great idea!

Question though--Have you ever considered buying unwaxed linen thread and dying that with Rit or leather dyes? That way you could skip the step of stripping off the wax and it might open up even more color options for you.

Yes absolutely. Your suggestion eliminates a step and I am sure the leather dyes would work well.

I was just working with what I already had in the specific thread size I needed; making do with what I had kind of thing.

My local Tandy is great, but has limited thread color and size, so I have not found a wide selection. The neon green paint was just screaming at me to be used

Thanks for the input

I definitely understand. Most of my stuff seems to be of the making do with what I have because I can't wait until something can be shipped and can't find what I need locally.

I have been thinking about dying the linen thread myself because I have not been able to find the right shades of purple and harvest gold I need for a future project, and I can at least get the fabric and leather dyes locally.:yes:

Go for it!

Look in a hobby shop that stocks model airbrush paint....they have some wicked colors and were water based, so easier to clean up.

Getting that color right so the stitching makes the project pop was the reason I posted this. It isn't great, talented leather work in comparison to others on here, but

it gives you the ability to do something to customize even a simple project and take it to the next level.

Finding the right color thread seems harder than finding the right paint or stain.

Oh I have plenty of paint...it's just in one of these boxes...somewhere. :) I'm still unpacking.

And it definitely seems like this board is all about taking it to the next level. I spend way too much time rooting around in the old threads, just being boggled by all of the talent.