Sign in to follow this  
Pip

need help hair tooling

I know this sounds silly but I can't get a natural look with my hair tooling, some advice please!

well... it looks like you need to post some pics so that someone can tell you what you need to do to improve your technique :)

Hairing really isn't hard, once you get the hang of it. Let's say you're doing a dog with a medium coat, like a German Shepherd. First, put down a few strokes with your hair blade to determine the direction of the hair. Of course, it goes basically from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. Now, following the general direction of your strokes, make little bittystrokes side-by-side, going first at one angle and then another, say 45 degrees to the left, then right over the top of that, 45 degrees to the right. Never make long strokes down the length of the animal when the animal has short hair, which most do. If you're doing a yak, for instance, the strokes would indeed be long. I find that the more directions you take off on, and the messier it seems to be, the better hair you have. Try using a tool like F918 to stamp some of the hair in. That sometimes works better on a fuzzier animal, like a marmot, than the hair blade does. It also gives you a better idea what the final outcome should look like. You may need to switch to a hair blade for the smaller parts of the body, like the face and feet. The main thing to remember, is short strokes going different directions.

Hope this helps!

Kathy

Thanks kathy, and bezzachopper, I will post some pics once Ive given kathy's advice a try, my previous efforts have been too embarrassing to post, more like messy scratches.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures without totaly embarrassing myself with my lack of computer skills, I will post some showing what I was trying to explain!

Kathy

If I ever figure out how to post pictures without totaly embarrassing myself with my lack of computer skills, I will post some showing what I was trying to explain!

Kathy

it makes sense to me, now I just need a few spare minutes to give it a try, combined with the ClayB tutorial I think I have it sorted........ kinda! Just need practice .... hmmmm

it makes sense to me, now I just need a few spare minutes to give it a try, combined with the ClayB tutorial I think I have it sorted........ kinda! Just need practice .... hmmmm

Clay's tutorials are very helpful. Just keep in mid that it takes a long time to hair even a small area properly. You can go over it many times to correct anything that doesn't look right. I put lots of time into my carvings, and it pays off.

Good luck,

Kathy

Clay's tutorials are very helpful. Just keep in mid that it takes a long time to hair even a small area properly. You can go over it many times to correct anything that doesn't look right. I put lots of time into my carvings, and it pays off.

Good luck,

Kathy

Now I really really want to see some of your stuff! Can I help with the posting pics problem? i am a little computer literate?!

Pip