Sign in to follow this  
aquaman

What Kind Of Rivet Is This?

They look like regular small rivets that have been peened / mashed without a washer on the side that's showing.

Hello,

I would like to know what kind of rivets are those who are in the picture.

there is a machine to put them?

Sorry my bad english and thanks

295pxg.jpg

2s1w1fp.jpg

I believe that they are eschutson pins.

These are almost certainly brass bifurcated rivets, with about 2.5mm or 3mm shaft. We use them all the time for replacing locks and catches on briefcases and luggage. They come in a variety of lengths (between the head and the split) to cope with different thicknesses of material.

We don't use a machine to set them . . . simply spread the split ends apart and lightly hammer flat.

post-7199-068338400 1285720687_thumb.jpg

Edited by celticleather

The top catch looks like escution pins and the second looks like copper rivets, but most people would wreck the case or the hardware trying to use either for repair, the split rivet is the way to go and it has to be the correct length or once again you'll wreck something trying to make it work. Guess how I know.

Kevin

Escutheon Pins are usually 5/8" to 3/4" and would be too long for these and are not rivets.

As said previously they probably are bifurcated rivets.

Escutheon pins are used to tack the makers name plate on English saddle up inder the skirts.

Escutheon Pins are usually 5/8" to 3/4" and would be too long for these and are not rivets.

As said previously they probably are bifurcated rivets.

Escutheon pins are used to tack the makers name plate on English saddle up inder the skirts.

Actually, I am betting with Kevin that these are not split rivets but rather solid rivets with burrs, made for these particular pieces of hardware especially since the hardware, and what I can see of the surrounding bags, look like pretty good quality stuff.

I use Escutcheon Pins, in both brass and SS all the time as small rivets to hold plates on leather straps. They are available in a fair variety of sizes, length, dia of shaft and dia of head. They can easily be snipped to any length required and a burr, small brass washer, used on the back side to spread the load out. The key to getting a nice head on them is to use a propper "Rivet Set" tool for the size of the pin, or being very, very good with a small ball peen hammer.

Personally I think a well done solid rivet looks much better than split (Bifurcated) rivets and they certainly hold much better.

But that is just MHO

Jim D.

Just look at the nice round heads on the brass and look at the flat head on the split rivet, I've never seen rounded heads on split rivets.

The others are copper inserted from the back and set on the front, using the hardware in place of burrs. I probably do half a dozen plates on halters this way every day.

Kevin