wildrose

Class For Total Newbies

I have the opportunity to begin teaching classes at a new art shop locally. So far, they've done stained glass, batik and drawing. They are very eager to have me and I can set any fee and do any "topic" I want. So what would you do, or want to take? I'm not talking about it being for children either, though 'til now that's been my usual (4H and Scouts).

I'd considered buying a pack of rounders and teaching a basic carving/tooling class. I have enough tools and knives to do that, and oodles of patterns. I'm hesitant to just teach stamping, though I find people outside of leatherwork seem to think it's easiest.

Thoughts?

I have the opportunity to begin teaching classes at a new art shop locally. So far, they've done stained glass, batik and drawing. They are very eager to have me and I can set any fee and do any "topic" I want. So what would you do, or want to take? I'm not talking about it being for children either, though 'til now that's been my usual (4H and Scouts).

I'd considered buying a pack of rounders and teaching a basic carving/tooling class. I have enough tools and knives to do that, and oodles of patterns. I'm hesitant to just teach stamping, though I find people outside of leatherwork seem to think it's easiest.

Thoughts?

I have taught key rings.....names & initalss always go great.. also stamping book marks.

I've thought about those too, Luke, but I want it to perhaps be a longer session than the usual -1 hr. Those ARE good ideas to keep in mind though!

What about a photo frame mat. Everyone can always use one of these and you could make them any size you want, 4x6 etc...

The students could personalize it, whether the picture frame was going to be for their pet, grandchildren etc. They have a project that could be displayed as a conversation piece for years to come.

It

I've thought about those too, Luke, but I want it to perhaps be a longer session than the usual -1 hr. Those ARE good ideas to keep in mind though!

That's a good thought too! I'm not sure I personally could pull it off though ;-)

Hi I don't have a idea for a class but I live close enough to Radford that I would drive to take any class I could to learn more about this art .I have not been at it very long and want to learn all I can so please post when You plan to start thanks very much. Hauss

The classes I have taught have all been one on one classes, and very specific to knife sheaths.I start off with the basics, where and how to buy leather, layouts patterns, cutting, dyeing and sewing.Then if they have that down , then we move on to embellishments, like tooling,carving ,inlays and lacing.Dave

I haven't taught leatherworking classes before, I have taught community education classes at the local college before. Something I discovered that worked really well is to allow the students what to pick after they have the basics down. So what I did was have a basic course, then the students were able to pick a few modules out of a dozen. If the students wanted to learn more, they could purchase the modules for an additional fee. I was very surprised how many students spent more money.

In your case, if I were a prospective student, I would love to sign up for your course if it included a basic cutting, dying, sewing, stamping and engraving. I would not hesitate if if I could then learn how to make two to three things from your website, like a wallet, flask, and organizer.

Just an idea. Keep us all posted on how the class turns out.

I like DC's point about starting off with an introduction to Leather types, weights, uses etc. Speaking for myself when I first started out that would of been invaluable. It took me quite a while and more than a few wasted purchases to get my head round all that.

I was always taught when planning a lecture in the Military to "tell them what you're going to tell them, then tell them and finally, tell them what you've told them". A hand out or two might also be a good idea, that way they don't need to be taking notes at any point

during the lesson and, if they take a few of your lessons, they get a small collection of your notes they can use for reference.

I have always found that the process of putting a lesson plan or lecture together, even for subjects you think you know well, ended up with me having a much better understanding of the subject in hand. Mainly due to the need to make everything correct, you end up working

out answers to bits you hadn't really thought about before and the whole thing becomes clearer in your own head.

Good luck with the lessons and I'm sure you'll get as much out of giving them as the potential students will get out of attending.

Thanks all!