DDahl

Thin Leather Skiving Aid

I have a Cobra NP4 Skiving machine (a lower feed only Fortuna style skiver). Obtaining nice skives with thin chrome tan leathers has been a problem. I finally developed an easy trick that seems to work and that you may find useful too! Just attach a piece of blue painters tape to the top surface of the edge of leather to be skived. The tape acts to rigidize the leather and it also acts to reduce the top friction of the leather to make it feed much easier. The best painters tape I have found for the task is Scotch #2080EL with edge lock. This is a tape made for delicate surfaces. It is thin, very slippery on top (almost teflon like), and removes quite easily from the top finished surface of chrome tanned leather. I use 1" wide tape. It is best to tape an edge, skive it, remove the tape, and then repeat the process for any other edges you may need to skive. The use of Scotch 2080EL painters tape has dramatically improved skiving quality and almost eliminated skiving damage and wasted leather for me.

Have fun!

Dave

Your tip is a one to file away. Thanks ! I don't have a bell knife but i want one.

Thank you Dave, I will definitely try out your trick. Do the tape leave any glue on the leather after removing it?

Thanks

Trox

No. The painters tape I recommended does NOT appear to leave any residue on the finished leather surface, and it is very easy to remove (thank 3M). I think you will find if you try this tape that it is a total win-win for skiving thin and flexible leathers.

Dave

Thanks, I will give it a try.

No. The painters tape I recommended does NOT appear to leave any residue on the finished leather surface, and it is very easy to remove (thank 3M). I think you will find if you try this tape that it is a total win-win for skiving thin and flexible leathers.

Dave