Sign in to follow this  
outcast

spot setter

I bought this spot setter to set spots with, but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. Can anyone tell me the correct way to use this thing?

spotsetter 003.jpg

post-4940-125364618428_thumb.jpg

I bought this spot setter to set spots with, but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. Can anyone tell me the correct way to use this thing?

Well In theory you put the spot in the corect setter. The long one with the sliding part. Slide the sleeve over the spot, put the spot where you want and place the anvil under the leather and line up the correct dimple in the anvil directly under your spot. not smack the setter with a hammer or maul and TAAAADAAAAA you probably missed the anvil.

Now how I use it is insert spot in setter, place leather over poundo board line up spot where you want and smack with maul. turn over the project and bend the tabs on the back of the spot with a screwdriver. and TAAA DAAAA you have a set spot.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Well In theory you put the spot in the corect setter. The long one with the sliding part. Slide the sleeve over the spot, put the spot where you want and place the anvil under the leather and line up the correct dimple in the anvil directly under your spot. not smack the setter with a hammer or maul and TAAAADAAAAA you probably missed the anvil.

Now how I use it is insert spot in setter, place leather over poundo board line up spot where you want and smack with maul. turn over the project and bend the tabs on the back of the spot with a screwdriver. and TAAA DAAAA you have a set spot.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

This is exactly how I use the thing. The anvil/ prong clincher stays in the box now.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

NEWFUNNYPOST.gif

heres a tip. take a permanent marker and mark the centers of the pits on the side of the anvil. much easier to line them up that way

I also whack the spots into a poundo board, or in my case, into a piece of rubber conveyor belt and then bend the prongs over. I have found though that sometimes the spots don't fit exactly right, and they bend the prongs and the spot sets sideways. Typically, it's when the spot is a tad smaller than the sleeve and it doesn't fit up in there snug. At that point, I go old school and use an blade awl to made the holes for the prongs.

heres a tip. take a permanent marker and mark the centers of the pits on the side of the anvil. much easier to line them up that way

that would work great if the project is the same width as the anvil.

I cant seem to find one but isnt there a setter that has two little blades that you use to basically cut the two holes for the spots then you push the spots into place and bend the tabs. Seems like that would work better then the above setup.

I had one of the tools that cut the two slits for the spots. I am thinking it came from Weaver, but not seeing it in my catalog. I can't remember if I gave it away or threw it away to save someone else the frustration. The blades were ground at too steep of a slant, not a flat enough bevel. Do that to some metal with tempering of playdough and every hit required straightening the blades because the points rode the bevel and were touching. Nice idea - bad tool.

I had one of the tools that cut the two slits for the spots. I am thinking it came from Weaver, but not seeing it in my catalog. I can't remember if I gave it away or threw it away to save someone else the frustration. The blades were ground at too steep of a slant, not a flat enough bevel. Do that to some metal with tempering of playdough and every hit required straightening the blades because the points rode the bevel and were touching. Nice idea - bad tool.

Maybe thats why I cant find them anywhere. Seemed like it would be a good idea but as with anything if its poorly executed then it aint gonna be worth much. Ah well.