Hello, I am new to this forum and very happy to have this resource available to me. I am having problems using my Groover that I got at Tandys. I am making double loop western holsters. I have made 3 already and they have turned out better than I thought they would. The problem I am having is when I try to groove a decorative border around the pouch part of the holster. I can do the left and right and bottom borders ok, but when I try to groove the border at the top of where the trigger recurve is I never can seem to get it right. It is never a nice curved line and when I go over it again sometimes it grooves outside of the first groove line and then it really looks like hell. Other holsters I have looked at seem perfect. I have figured out that It is almost impossible to keep the tool exactly parallel to the edge as I did on the first pass. I must be twisting my hand or something. Anyway it is very frustrating. I am almost ready to give up and just wet the leather and use a pair of dividers to see if it comes out any better. Or draw a line and use a swivel cutter or something. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I had the same problem. The key is ho slow and take your time.

I have tried that, it still seems unstable. I am wondering if I might just draw or trace the border I want and then use some other kind of tool to make the groove. I am going to stamp along it any way. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

sounds like you need to get an edge groover - which i like a standard groover, but the blade is attached to a little adjustable arm. You trace around the outside of the leather and the blade cuts a parallel line at the distance you set when adjusting it.

Or i might have misunderstood completely!

Thanks but that is the one I am using. Sorry if I was not clear. I am thinking about making an acrylic template for the decorative border then just running a freehand groover around the edge of the template to make my groove.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Actually I think the pro stitching groover set from Tandy will work better. I have both and use this most of the time now. For really sharp corner, I think a compass will work better. Maybe you could mark a parallel line using compass first. The line will set as a guide for using the groover later.

Actually it's the radiuses that are giving me fits. Straight lines are easy. I read somewhere that wetting the leather slightly helps keep down chatter. I am also making a template for an inside decorative border out of 1/8" matt board from Hobby Lobby that I will run my groover along for steadiness.

Thanks guys for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.

sounds like the cutter needs sharpening, wont be surprised if its from Tandy

I gave up and bought a goods Japan one

Thanks for your input. Do you know a web site where I can look at or order the one you have? I am about to the point where I am just going to use a sharp point and free scribe my decorative border.

Thanks.

Wezgo, you might be interested in these Border blades from Barry King: http://www.barrykingtools.com/swivelknives.htm. The border blades are near the bottom of the page. The long part of the blade travels around the outer edge of your leather and the shorter inner part cuts the edge.

bob