moeg

Cordovan Leather

Could anyone explain to me what cordovan leahter is? I was watching an archery video and most of the archers were using a cordovan finger tab. It is supposedly very resistant to wear.

Thanks, Moe.

Cordovan leather is made from horse butts.

Technically, it's Cordovan shell. A most expensive hand rubbed section of the horses rear, approximately1 1/2- 2 sq. ft round, upwards of $90 a piece. Used mostly for expensive shoes. The part that is cut away from around that little shell piece is what the leather suppliers sell as horse butt. The butt is inexpensive, maybe $12-20. For your needs, that's what you could use.

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Moe

Actually the cordovan shell will cost you about $150.00 direct from Horween. It is some of the most beautiful leather I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Dyed the cordovan color.

ferg

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Moe

Horse butt you can get very inexpensively from Springfield. It's best to call them & talk to one of the experienced staff (Emma is one) & let them know what you need it for- then they can match it to your needs.

Those cut-offs I see them trimming off must be what Springfield (and others) sell, eh?

Yes, I have said many times, the Shell Cordovan is one of the finest leathers you will ever use. Fantastically beautiful wallets from these, they wear like iron.

ferg

Those cut-offs I see them trimming off must be what Springfield (and others) sell, eh?

if you want true shell cordovan, check out www.brettunsvillage.com they had some recently. pretty expensive though.

Does anybody know if there are different thicknesses of shell cordovan? I just received my first shell, its about 6oz.

I'm a avid (ok rabid) archer3x state champion and Certified USA Archery and NFAA Level 3 Coach. Indeed Cordovan is highly prized for its qualities in finger tabs... I've gone through this many many times on archery forums with folks trying to save a few dollars, The Horse Butt that most folks sell is NOT to be remotely confused with genuine Shell Cordovan. Genuine Shell Cordovan made from the fibrous flat muscle ("shell") _beneath_ the hide on the butt of the horse. But it is much much more than just where it comes from, it is also the process it goes through... But I'll leave that to the leather experts to explain.