Art

Selecting Flatbed Medium Duty from eBay

Hi Chuck,

There are good and bad things about eBay. Misrepresentation, If you see the words "Industrial Strength", it is not. If it is industrial, it will have a separate Head, Table, and Motor. If the motor is attached to the machine, it is too small for anything but the home use it was intended for. Motor HP of 1/2 HP (400 Watts) or greater is what you need for leather. Many of the machines taken out of industrial service have nonstandard voltage and/or 3450 rpm motors, way too fast for everyday multi-purpose leatherwork. A home machine is properly called a home machine or a Commercial machine (the meaning here is that you go down to the sewing machine store and buy it commercially, confusing?). An Industrial machine is generally one that would be used in a factory. An industrial strength machine means nothing. Some of the older machines are however decent for light work and the motors are pretty available, carbon foot controls are a little harder to find. Singer 66, 201, 15, and 31 are good examples.

Industrial machines like the Singer 111 and 211 are good workhorses for medium duty (46 to 207 thread), there are a zillion of them out there and parts are available, there are even clones of them (Tachony aka Tacsew), and many of the new machines use the same foot system (not Pfaff or Brother). Pfaff machines are great even if parts are expensive and feet are different, numbers like 1245 and 545 are good machines for your purpose and even a used one will end up with your kids.

Ferdco and Artisan make good machines and their service is excellent bar none. They both sell Chinese machines, however they are adjusted and setup for your type of sewing and run in before they are sent out to you. This includes setting up on a stand with motor and speed reducer and cleaning up the cosmoline and oiling the resivours and wicks if necessary.

Adler machines are very good, but there are a multitude of numbers and every little optional part or combination seems to have a different dash number, but generally a67, 68, 167, 168, 267, or 867 will do what you want and last forever.

Good luck,

Art

On Jan 4, 2008 6:36 PM, <skeetjeep@atlinkwifi.com> wrote:

I'm considering getting a flat bed sewing machine to handle the small

items such as check books key fobs made from scraps. etc.

there are several on ebay. Anybody have any recommendations?

Chuck

I like the idea of having a portable semi-industrial machine, two in fact. I'm thinking of getting a Pfaff 130 just because it's so sexy. I'd like to have the machine simply for inspiration and to use it occasionally for suede and light leather.

I've been looking for a free downloadable manual but have found none.

I've read that this machine uses a 134 needle system but that other needles might be possible. Does anyone know if the Pfaff 130 uses the same needle system as the Sailrite/Consew/Yamata portable walking foot machines? Does it also use the same size bobbins?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Chuck,

There are good and bad things about eBay. Misrepresentation, If you see the words "Industrial Strength", it is not. If it is industrial, it will have a separate Head, Table, and Motor. If the motor is attached to the machine, it is too small for anything but the home use it was intended for. Motor HP of 1/2 HP (400 Watts) or greater is what you need for leather. Many of the machines taken out of industrial service have nonstandard voltage and/or 3450 rpm motors, way too fast for everyday multi-purpose leatherwork. A home machine is properly called a home machine or a Commercial machine (the meaning here is that you go down to the sewing machine store and buy it commercially, confusing?). An Industrial machine is generally one that would be used in a factory. An industrial strength machine means nothing. Some of the older machines are however decent for light work and the motors are pretty available, carbon foot controls are a little harder to find. Singer 66, 201, 15, and 31 are good examples.

Industrial machines like the Singer 111 and 211 are good workhorses for medium duty (46 to 207 thread), there are a zillion of them out there and parts are available, there are even clones of them (Tachony aka Tacsew), and many of the new machines use the same foot system (not Pfaff or Brother). Pfaff machines are great even if parts are expensive and feet are different, numbers like 1245 and 545 are good machines for your purpose and even a used one will end up with your kids.

Ferdco and Artisan make good machines and their service is excellent bar none. They both sell Chinese machines, however they are adjusted and setup for your type of sewing and run in before they are sent out to you. This includes setting up on a stand with motor and speed reducer and cleaning up the cosmoline and oiling the resivours and wicks if necessary.

Adler machines are very good, but there are a multitude of numbers and every little optional part or combination seems to have a different dash number, but generally a67, 68, 167, 168, 267, or 867 will do what you want and last forever.

Good luck,

Art

On Jan 4, 2008 6:36 PM, <skeetjeep@atlinkwifi.com> wrote:

I'm considering getting a flat bed sewing machine to handle the small

items such as check books key fobs made from scraps. etc.

there are several on ebay. Anybody have any recommendations?

Chuck

Hi Ed,

You won't find anything on a Pfaff is free. Some parts will cost as much as you paid for the machine. The good news they seldom break unless really abused. The 130 is just a little sewing machine, nothing special for leatherwork and 3/8 foot lift would be a generous specification.

Pfaff also doesn't use the same anything as anyone else. Needle system for 130 is DBx130B and sometimes MTX133, Schmetz and Organ will have them, go with the Schmetz if you can.

Art

I like the idea of having a portable semi-industrial machine, two in fact. I'm thinking of getting a Pfaff 130 just because it's so sexy. I'd like to have the machine simply for inspiration and to use it occasionally for suede and light leather.

I've been looking for a free downloadable manual but have found none.

I've read that this machine uses a 134 needle system but that other needles might be possible. Does anyone know if the Pfaff 130 uses the same needle system as the Sailrite/Consew/Yamata portable walking foot machines? Does it also use the same size bobbins?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

You won't find anything on a Pfaff is free. Some parts will cost as much as you paid for the machine. The good news they seldom break unless really abused. The 130 is just a little sewing machine, nothing special for leatherwork and 3/8 foot lift would be a generous specification.

Pfaff also doesn't use the same anything as anyone else. Needle system for 130 is DBx130B and sometimes MTX133, Schmetz and Organ will have them, go with the Schmetz if you can.

Art

One ebay ad had a picture of five quarters underneath the presser foot, suggesting that the machine can take at least 1/4" of material underneath the presser foot. Pictures seemed to suggest that the machine can do at least two layers of 5/6 ox veg tan if needed.

I might want to use such a machine, among other things, for decorative stitching in one layer of 5 to 8 oz veg tan, latigo, chrome, bridle leathers, and whatever else I desire to get into.

ed

I finally got needles for my yamata. This "infant bull" puts down a pretty nice stitch. I'm hoping that Sailrite's balance wheel, which I just ordered tonight, will indeed give it more punching power.

In looking at the Pfaff 130 on Ebay, I see that some of them come with what seems to be a very sturdy case. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get these sturdy cases, other than sailrite which has one for around $100, though very nice.

This yamata can take five quarters underneath the presser foot, but that's if you lift up the bolt further with your hand. Normal presser foot lift is about 2.5 quarters. I was wondering, is the lift on the Pfaff 130 the regular lift or does it also require further manipulation by hand to get a width of about five quarters?

Since I do like the idea of having a portable, and already have the yamata, what would be a good similar machine other than the Pfaff?

Thanks,

Ed