Freddo

What are roller buckles used for

I've seen a lot of "roller' buckles in OTB's catalog and other hardware suppliers.

Can someone explain to me what the use of the roller is for? What is the primary use for these types of buckles?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

they are often used so the leather goes through the buckl better. Rough stock spur straps ect

The idea behind roller buckles is that as you pull up on the billet to tighten it (on a rear cinch, for instance), the roller allows the billet to slide through the buckle easier.

I don't know this to be a fact, but it seems to me roller buckles are best used on items that tend to get dirty or dusty. Dirty leather doesn't slide through buckles smoothly, so I'm guessing someone in the past said, "What if we put a roller on that buckle?"

The idea behind roller buckles is that as you pull up on the billet to tighten it (on a rear cinch, for instance), the roller allows the billet to slide through the buckle easier.

I don't know this to be a fact, but it seems to me roller buckles are best used on items that tend to get dirty or dusty. Dirty leather doesn't slide through buckles smoothly, so I'm guessing someone in the past said, "What if we put a roller on that buckle?"

That's a thought... either that, or you use them in a place where you really have to exert some pull, and someone said, "Hey, I wonder if it would be easier to pull this harness cinch with a rolller buckle?" :lol: They are on all the cinches for a harness, too... Hmmmm....

That's a thought... either that, or you use them in a place where you really have to exert some pull, and someone said, "Hey, I wonder if it would be easier to pull this harness cinch with a rolller buckle?" :lol: They are on all the cinches for a harness, too... Hmmmm....

some girths have a roller buckles, just be careful if using them, they will over tighten

The stirrup leathers on kid's or pony saddles often have roller buckles, even some larger saddles. They are popular at riding stables where the length is often changed.

The man who used to do all of the leather I used when I was rodeoing for a living put them on my chap buckles, spur straps, cinches, stirrup leathers on my bronc saddles, and the nice straps on the bull riding glove he made for me, and said he did it in the varous places all for different reasons. The spur straps, chap buckles, gloves, and cinches he said it was so they could be pulled tighter easier, on everywhere else he put them he said he did it so the stuff didn't wear out quite so fast as the little roller thingy reduces friction, hope tha thelps.

They should be used whenever there will be strain on the strap, whereas a cart-type buckle can cut into the leather.

Had a girlfriend that had them on her bra straps.

Gawd, I miss that girl.

I think it would have to do with the thickness of the strap as much as anything. Thicker leather, especially well weathered and somewhat stiff leather, doesn't like to bend in half. Adding the roller helps with the tensioning so the leather isn't doubled over during tightening. This IMO keeps the strap from cracking due to over flexing.