wmartin636

Hand Stitching Help!

I am fairly proficient with a saddle stitch, but have never used a lock-stitch hand sewing leather. I find myself with a project where I have to stitch deep into a case where I don't have access or visibility to saddle-stitch from the inside. I plan to use a lock-stitch for this section, so I did a practice run on some scraps and it looked terrible!

I am thinking that waxing the thread will help. I am using an automatic sewing awl with the thread on a bobbin in the handle. Should I take out what I think I will need, wax it and respool it on the bobbin?

Any ideas or help on how to make a decent looking lock-stitch?

Thanks

Bill

If I was doing it I would use a jerk needle (looks like a small crochet hook) and pull the thread to the outside to make my loop instead of using the auto awl and making the loop on the inside. I am not fond of the auto awl at all.

Thanks, I think that will work for me. Where do I source a jerk needle? I am kind of out in the middle of nowhere here.

They are used on needle and awl sewing machines. The only direct answer I have is Oregon leather in Portland has them. The pic shows one mounted in an awl.

post-2349-0-05689500-1424844696_thumb.jp

Thanks I will look for that

I agree with electrathon regarding hand lock-stitchers. Strictly amateur. Near impossible getting anything semiprofessional looking with one. I'd only consider using one if the stitches were completely invisible in the finished project.

I wonder what type of construction you have in mind that precludes saddle stitching? Usually by being clever with the order of construction you can avoid problems like you describe.

Pictures?

Michelle

They are used on needle and awl sewing machines. The only direct answer I have is Oregon leather in Portland has them. The pic shows one mounted in an awl.

I use this type of needle at work.... let me tell you I tape my fingers up while working...but after several hundred stitches a day my hand is cramped and tired from pulling the threads tight all day long!!

Oh, and I see congratulations are in order.

Electrathon, you have surpassed 2.500 posts!

And they are always packed with useful information based on tons of experience.

Allow me to thank you on behalf of the entire forum!

Michelle

Oh, and I see congratulations are in order.

Electrathon, you have surpassed 2.500 posts!

And they are always packed with useful information based on tons of experience.

Allow me to thank you on behalf of the entire forum!

Michelle

I thank you! I did not even realize I hit the 2,500 make. I seldome start threads but have tried to answer questions when I can. When I started one of my biggest frustrations was the lack of available information. Leatherworker was an infant back then. Johanna had a vision of the future wanting to move from an outdated Yahoo system in favor of a forum based system, she was very correct, and I entered here when the group was very small. It has grown a lot, and I hope I have helped in a positive way.

Aaron