Boriqua

Ebay Machine ?

I have spent the last few weeks reading up on machines here and must admit .. Im dizzy!! :)

So much to learn and I still don't know if I want a machine but I came across this machine on ebay that seems to carry all the specs of say the cowboy or the cobra 3. I am a little concerned about the misspellings in the ad but aside from that is there a reason this machine is not a descent deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371276009770?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This machine does not have a walking foot setup. The 441 clones such as Cobra and Cowboy are twice the machine as this one.This machine also does not have reverse. Another problem is that the seller is an importer, and not a sewing machine dealer with expertise in repair and maintenance. There is good reason that this machine is so cheap.

I personally would not buy this machine form Ebay not only because it is dead ugly! Gump already hit the nail on the head.

Check with Toledo Sewing Machine Co.

There you get approx. the same machine (but with 1/2" foot lift) for $30 more including a 3:1 Speed reducer a much larger machine pulley / balance wheel (as it seems) and with great support and warranty. And I would assume it is even better built but I don´t know for sure.

Add $300 and you have a reverse

Add another $300 and you have a 441 type machine with walking foot mechanism with all advantages.

Check out Toledos CB3200 I think in the long view this is a much better investment than this ebay thing.

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb3200.html

I would not buy a machine from any company that does not advertise on this forum. Any other purchase decision would be a formula for disappointment. Period. End of discussion.

I bought my Cobra 4 from Leather Machine Co. two years ago and couldn't be happier.

Michelle

I would never have thought buying a machine would be so difficult! :)

Guess I should have known but i have now spent countless hours reading posts and visiting the advertisers site information. I am now in the stage of actually listing where i would want to use a machine as i do my various projects so i can lock in what i need. I am leaning toward the cobra 3. The more i look at what i would want to use it for and the price i keep coming to that one. Thank you everyone for the input.

Alex

I know this will sound like a car salesman's pitch on adding undercoating to your new car, but...

Cobra 3 vs. Cobra 4.

Alex, you didn't mention what projects you are considering but the only real difference between the two machines is the greater "throat" of the Cobra 4. You wouldn't think that extra 4" would make that much difference. Maybe it wouldn't for a holster or even a belt. But if you ever decide to venture into the many larger or odd-shaped projects like messenger bags or purses for example (and you will once you see what a joy a good walking foot machine is to use and realize what new horizons it presents for your leatherworking), you will wish you had that extra room of the Cobra 4. And it isn't that much more costly. Folding and manipulating a bunch of leather with your right hand to clear the throat is a distraction at best and dangerous at worst.

Oh, and the Cobra 4 will likely sell faster and hold its value better than the Cobra 3 for these very reasons.

At least that's the way I see it,

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

The GA5 is a pretty good machine when it is set up correctly but at this price on ebay you are wasting your money.

There is no reverse and the dealer is unknown to you.

This guy must be nearsighted 7 quarters stacked up do not equal 3/4" it is only 9/16ths of an inch.

Look to Bob Kovar, Steve at Cobra sales, Nick-o-sew in Tennessee, Ralph Sewing, Keystone Sewing or anyone else on this board. NOT EBAY.