SooperJake

Machine Stitching In A Tight Radius

Practicing on the new CB4500 Cowboy and in fairly tight radii, say the diameter of a quarter or so, my stitches end up either too short or too long...hit and miss. I go as slow as I can. Machine is set at about 6 SPI.

Do you generally hand wheel in this type of situation, or is it simply a practiced skill? I've noted that sometimes when I hand wheel I get kinda stuck, and have to back up a smidge and really wonk the wheel good. My partially torn rotator cuff doesn't help I figure.

Anyway, I've got really nice straight lines, with or without any guide lines drawn or cut. And larger radii go smoothly.

I've got the foot tension perfected; no more drag marks. And the bobbin tension now seems to be about right. At first it was cutting the leather up bad. Looked awful underneath. Now it is real smooth yet feeds nicely.

Jake

Woooh Jake: (Cowboy talk for stop).. Maybe the reason you've had thirty views and no answers is we don't know how to sew around a quarter either with a 441...and haven't even tried! The feed dogs won't handle that tight a turn, to my thinking, and keep the stitch even.

Just kidding. Slow down on that practice stuff, itall come soon.

You will need to: Stop, needle still in material but raise above hook, raise foot, re-position material, raise needle, position needle to the next desired point, lower foot, do one stitch. Repeat till tired.

Kevin

Edited by KAYAK45

I'll be headed to my shop in a while and will punch some 1" circles and see what it takes to get even stitches. I'll post results tonight.

On many machines, raising the foot releases the top tension, so raise it just enough to allow you to turn the leather following your curve. Raising too far will mess up the stitch appearance and position of the lock.

CTG

You will need to: Stop, needle still in material but raise above hook, raise foot, re-position material, raise needle, position needle to the next desired point, lower foot, do one stitch.

Kevin

This is what I do....make sure you raise the needle slightly before raising the foot, else you'll have just an empty hole....axe me how I know:red_bandana:

Woooh Jake: (Cowboy talk for stop).. Maybe the reason you've had thirty views and no answers is we don't know how to sew around a quarter either with a 441...and haven't even tried! The feed dogs won't handle that tight a turn, to my thinking, and keep the stitch even.

Just kidding. Slow down on that practice stuff, itall come soon.

You will need to: Stop, needle still in material but raise above hook, raise foot, re-position material, raise needle, position needle to the next desired point, lower foot, do one stitch. Repeat till tired.

Kevin

What does "raise above hook" mean, Kayak?

What does "raise above hook" mean, Kayak?

I don't mean to speak for Kayak, but if you don't mind my interpretation....to get around tight corners, or changing directions sharply, I "walk" the machine by hand turning the wheel, with a little help from the motor.....but before I lift the foot to rearrange the leather piece, I make sure the needle is in the upward stroke position so it's picked up the bobbin thread.....if the needle is not in the upward stroke and has not picked up the bobbin thread, you'll have an empty hole, with no thread through it......

Kayak and others will have the proper terminology to explain what goes on, but it's just how I explain it.

I've been tracing and sewing penny sized circles. Much improved over before.

post-32287-080878800 1346819696_thumb.jp

Jake

Edited by SooperJake

When you get to a dime, be sure to instruct me on that one..I can't wait to here this!! Just keep going, this is good stuff.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Kevin