Sign in to follow this  
xlr8tn

tell me what the type of stitching this is?

Hey

I really like the look of this. Can someone tell me what the type of stitching this is?

Thanks,

Brent

T_MoroBlue.jpg

post-5299-1195913109_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 4 prong chisel punch was used before stitching. Does this look like the chisel is angled or standard?

It does look like an angled lacing (not stitching) chisel was used. I've never tried this technique, so it's totally speculation on my part, too.

looks to me like the stitch was done on needle feed sewing machine, with a reverse twist spear point needle, the needle point is offset to slight angle of the stitch line. to achive this stitch.

I agree with Steve, But if it is an LR needle, it is one humdinger of a big one. It could also be a needle and awl machine like the Campbell with the awl turned to that position, I have done that before to make it look more like handwork. Also that would be one big honking awl, like maybe a 3 or 3 1/2.

Art

I'm trying to get an edge exactly like the one shown in the pic of my first post. I've used Edge Kote and it sure didn't turn out like that. Am I supposed to use the gum stuff and then Edge Kote on top of that?

Any idea where I can find thread like this? Or is it lace? I just don't know what to search for!

-brent

DSC08952.jpg

post-5299-1196000967_thumb.jpg

You can find an assortment of thread weights and colors at Maine Thread Co.

I think with a little more edge dye and more slicking, your straps should look pretty close to your sample. It also looks like an edge beveler of some kind was used to make the edges more rounded, but sometimes just slicking can also create that appearance.

Kate