Rubederubes

Singer 45K58 - Is This The Right Machine For Me?

Hi

After hunting around on this forum I have struggled to find the answer to my questions.

I bought an overhauled Singer 45k58 with the intention of mainly making leather handbags, with and without fabric liners. I would also like to make leather chaps, possibly wallets and purses and othe leather crafty projects. I also produce hand stitched leather work, including bridles, headcollars, and belts.

I have struggled with this machine from the beginning, and am self taught with the help of the manual!

Sewing 2 pieces of leather together is not a problem, the issues start when I try to sew fabric to leather, when the leather and fabric are fed at different rates leading to disaster!

I also have problems when I try to sew 2 pieces of leather , then sew another 2 pieces of leather into the work, then return to the 2 pieces of leather thickness. It misses stitches, and I can get it to pick up the stitches at all.

The teeth at the bottom of the machine (feed dogs?!) also cause a problem and mark the leather or fabric which is another problem for me.

Would I be able to sew hair on sheepskin to a saddlecloth with this machine?

I have no idea if I am using the correct size thread, needles or if the machine is even set up correctly for my intended use?

What I really need is someone to come an give me some tuition on the machine, if anyone know anyone in the UK who could help me?

I wonder if I should sell this machine as I wonder if it is too heavy duty for my needs? What machine would be more appropriate that I can get in the UK?

Sorry for all the questions! I hope someone can help.

Thank you!!

There isn't much you can do to this machine back 100yrs when it was made people didn't care much about feed dog marks or material sliding alittle.Now today it's a different story that's why you need a machine with compound walking foot & needle feed like an Adler 205 ,Juki 411 or a 441 clone will do a much better job for you.

There isn't much you can do to this machine back 100yrs when it was made people didn't care much about feed dog marks or material sliding alittle.Now today it's a different story that's why you need a machine with compound walking foot & needle feed like an Adler 205 ,Juki 411 or a 441 clone will do a much better job for you.

Thanks for your reply.

I may have found a 3 year old Adler 205 for sale. Please could you tell me what I can expect this machine to sew? Also, what sort of price should I be looking to pay for it? (£ I'm in the UK)

It would depend of course how old & how much it's been used but I would guess from 1500-2000 pound if it's in decent condition.Maybe more if it's real nice.

They sell over 4000 pounds new.

Edited by CowboyBob