Jordan

My Latest project a Ruger P89 DC Holster

These are the results of the last couple of days of playing with holster ideas. It will end up being for a Ruger P89 with a straight up cant, belt loop on the back and one on the tail, my hope is the rear slot will pull the grip in closer to the body to aid in conceal under a jacket. I haven't decided on tooling/sewing/braiding/color yet. I included some pics of the cardstock pattern also.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

post-4868-1201905657_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905670_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905688_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905700_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905716_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905726_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905735_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905743_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201905754_thumb.jpg

Jordan,

I like that design and haven't seen it before. Pretty slick to incorporate stiffener into belt loop.

Regis

Edited by Regis

I'm anxious to see how it turns out! Have you thought about raising the height of the pistol in relation to the holster so there is a little more room for your fingers to grip the gun unobstructed? Any how, I like the design and I can't wait for the follow up pictures.

Regis, thanks, the design probably came from a combo of pictures of other holsters in magazines and online, I usually just start by breaking out some graph paper and draw till I think it will look good and work. Boom, that is one area that I still need to figure out, the others I have made I usually endup trimming in the grip area for clearence I haven't quite worked out how to raise the butt in the design process, I imagine if I put alittle foward cant in it that would allow for it.

JORDAN , looking good great design. Its good to see that you dont spend

ALL your time in the HOT TUB. :cowboy:

Jordan,

If you want to raise this one a little just cut 1/4" off the bottom of the pattern, and raise the gun that much too accomodate the difference. I think you have enough material on your sweat shield that it shouldn't make a big difference.

I'll give that a try and as a reward I will have to put in some extra time in the tub tonight!

I'll give that a try and as a reward I will have to put in some extra time in the tub tonight!

Fun with leather dye?

Could be a new way to case leather and soothe my aches and pains at the same time, two birds with one hottub so to speak :banana::banana:

Thanks for the step by step. Helpful for us that are new to holster designing.

Kayak15

Jordon,

That is a good looking, original design, and should be very nice once you get done fine tuning it. Looks like you put a lot of thought into it. Thanks for the photo layout, it does help us new guys.

Didn't know if the pattern pics would help much but, thought I would post them to kinda show how I ended up with the piece of leather cut that way. A side note, my 1st one ended up an inch to short on the left side belt slot area so I had to re-work the pattern from the centerline to the left as looking at the picture. Guess the ruger was alot thicker than I realized and needed the extra inch just to get everything lined up after folding it over the pistol. Might be able to use the shorter one on another smaller pistol. Most of the leather I am using is scrap from the bin at the local tandy shop so my learning curve mistakes are not too costly. By the time I start using the real good stuff I hope to be alot better at avoiding errors. My wife calls them brain farts, I call them temporary lapses in spatial reality.LOL...Jordan

Jordan

That one should be another "Jordan's Holsters" winner. Post some photos when you've finished it.

Randy

Well it's been a few days and I decided to play around with the one I cut too small, turns out a Springfield Armory 45 will fit but without the sweat shield, here is a few photos of what I have so far, I think it will turn out ok. I have decided I am going to finish it with fiebings (sp) british tan and black edges but the best laid plans of mice and men will dictate the outcome. Jordan

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

post-4868-1202162263_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1202162274_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1202162285_thumb.jpg

that looks very nice Jordan. Just curious, what did you use as a template for doing your stitch grooving? That couldn't have been free hand was it?

Measured in from the edge till it looked about right, 1/4" then scribed a fine line and freehanded over it with one of those tandy groover tools. I did use a straightedge for some of it though. Unfortunately I will be catching the edge of the belt loop piece on the backside when I stitch it together

Edited by Jordan

So when are we gonna see pics of the finished holsters? You're killin' us here......... :clapping:

Screwed the proverbial pooch with this one, To much foot pressure caused the holster to slip sideways a bit, the stitching really got away from me. Anyway here is what I just finished messing up. Lost the stamping also. It is still wet and I moulded it using mostly my thumbs. I am going to soak them in the hot tub and not try to do so much on the next one lucky this is practice. LOL Jordan

15.jpg

16.jpg

post-4868-1202176052_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1202176067_thumb.jpg

If you don't want to sell it..just give it to me..i'll fit my Ruger right fine...lol

Jordan

Aside from your stitching mishap, your holster looks pretty good to me. In boot school, Carl Chappell gave me the following advise.

"If ya screw up, make it looked like you planned it that way".

I've ended up dyeing quite a few projects black because of my stitching screwups.

Good luck on your P89 Holster.

Randy

Take the stitches out then run a double row of stitching along side the other row.Should be able to make it look like you planned it, like Randy said.. Then you could give it to me...double lol...

Jordan, very nice design as usual! I'm always impressed by how much thought you put into your holsters. I agree with Randy about the stitching. Just dye it black and no one but you will know. Keep up the good work! Warren

Thanks guys, I just couldn't leave it alone. Tommorow I will pull the stitches and try again I think 2 rows will work, I was contemplating lacing but as it is a practice piece that would take along time and I have the leather cut for the Ruger so as my nana used to say idle hands make idle minds.

17.jpg

post-4868-1202188150_thumb.jpg

I like it. Nice color and a good design. I use two stitch rows pretty often, and I think it makes holsters look more aesthetically pleasing....(wow, that was a big word...my brain hurts now)... I think that you will manage to have a pretty good holster come out of this, and you will learn a lot from it to boot. What machine do you use? Mine is on a servo motor that runs so slow I don't easily make mistakes like that, not that I haven't anyway. I look forward to the Ruger holster. Have you heard about their spiffy new .380 they will release soon? One more gun mold to track down.

I bought Ed's Neels Model 5 awhile back, got it up and running about a week ago. I have'nt used a sewing machine since I was a teenager so that would put it in the realm of ancient history, the key I think is practice adjust, practice adjust and then more practice. Hope is by spring I will have some items I will be able to sell and feel good about the quality and workmanship. One thing I need is some thicker thread, as I think a more pronounced stitch looks alot better.

P2010013.JPG

post-4868-1202193257_thumb.jpg