omarcolocci

Looking For Books On Carving (And More)

Hello everyone!

Have been reading a lot on the past couple of days and this is my first post. Such a great community this is I could find most of my beginner-wannabe questions already answered. Thank you all!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

The thing is I can't rely on live courses to learn. I live in Brazil and haven't found any regarding carving or the craftsmanship side of leatherworking, only industry targeted education, so I must turn to books and videos and I'd like know what you suggest and, if not widely available, where to get them.

Thanks you very much!

Omar

Hello everyone!

Have been reading a lot on the past couple of days and this is my first post. Such a great community this is I could find most of my beginner-wannabe questions already answered. Thank you all!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

The thing is I can't rely on live courses to learn. I live in Brazil and haven't found any regarding carving or the craftsmanship side of leatherworking, only industry targeted education, so I must turn to books and videos and I'd like know what you suggest and, if not widely available, where to get them.

Thanks you very much!

Omar

There are many videos found at the Tandy web site. They cover a wide assortment of topics and are free. Running time is anywhere from a little over a minute up to somes that are over 10 minutes in length. Tandy has come a long way in the last couple of years and I hope they do more things like this.

Another place to go is http://www.hidecrafter.com/hci/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=22. Hide Crafter carries a lot of videos for sale that are well worth getting.

Both company's carry books for sale that are very helpful for the beginner and anyone else who just likes to have these items in their shop library.

There are many videos found at the Tandy web site. They cover a wide assortment of topics and are free. Running time is anywhere from a little over a minute up to somes that are over 10 minutes in length. Tandy has come a long way in the last couple of years and I hope they do more things like this.

Another place to go is http://www.hidecraft...id=1&Itemid=22. Hide Crafter carries a lot of videos for sale that are well worth getting.

Both company's carry books for sale that are very helpful for the beginner and anyone else who just likes to have these items in their shop library.

In addition and to add what Joet said, this site has more information than you can read, and will get mutlitple answers most likely for any question asked. there is even a thread called , Paul Burnett school of Leather ornamentation, if you have not read that, its extremely helpful.

I would order a Tandy catalogue, they are free, and in there, will be some great books. Standard is the AL STohman (it was the very first one I bought as well). I have only been at it a few months, but its helped me greatly. it was all of $7 us at my local Tandy store.

good luck and hope to see some images from you in time.

Welcome. You've pretty much found the best source of information you can right here if you want it we got it. For free videos, Tandy and YouTube just type in leathercraft and start watching there are quite a few good videos on the basic stuff, for building stuff The case making books by Al Stolman will prove to be priceless for you and they run about 10.00 each. There are a couple of really good websites to use also, Kingsmere Crafts is an excellent one for beginning, Leatherlearn is also a good one.

Those should keep you busy for quite a while.

Good luck

Bryan

Thank you very much for all the suggestions! I do have material to keep me busy for quite a while now. :)

I must say I'm loving Paul Burnett writings, not to mention his amazing work!

Check out this site.

http://www.tutumaker.com.br/

Good luck