I have received several orders over the years for belts but generally the customer is buying it for a gift and only know the waist or pants size of the receiver. Given that information I always add several inches but sometime this presents problems especially for personalized belts. I always try to get the customer to measure a belt from tip to tip but this is not always possible. Anyway, is there a standard equation or chart that is available? Brazos Jack has a chart for Plains Gun Belts but I do not believe that would work for a dress belt.

Thanks for your help, look forward to hearing from all you experts out there.

Not that I know of. Pants size is TOTALLY irrelevant in my opinion...every brand is different. I measure from end of buckle to center hole - anything without a measurement is a guess.

I went to several clothing stores with a tape on my pocket and measured belts from the buckle tang to the center hole compared to the size on the belt, it averaged about 1-1-/2" longer than the size on the belt. That means that a 32" belt would measure usually about 33 inches and sometimes 33.5. I was pretty satisified but then I started getting other measurements depending on brands. My overall opinion was that 1.5" would be good. I normally make belts custom and measure an old belt or I have a belt marked in inches from 22 to 50 in 1" increments, in my craft shows I have belts in 28 - 44" in 2" increments 28, 30, 32, 34, etc. I normally put 5 holes in a belt so there is an overall adjustment range at the buckle of 5", howver, as you said that can play havoc with centered names on belts in that they will be off center if the belt isn't in the center hole. Best I can do, suggest you take a tape measure to penny's, sear's, Walmart, Macy's, etc and check some of them out, I never had anyone question me.

Chief

Some makers size them from the fold, where it wraps over the buckle, to the center hole...which leaves out the length of the buckle. Still doesn't come close to reality though. I wear a 34 jean and a 40" belt (end of buckle to the hole I use).

Edited by 5shot

There are several things that affect this problem for leather workers:

1. No real standard on sizing belts anywhere.

2. No real standard on where people wear pants or belts, some on the belly button, some below the belly, some loose, etc.

3. Most customers don't know what size belt they wear and some won't admit what they should be wearing.

That's why I make belts in multiple sizes (non personalized) in 2" increments, then if a customer thinks he wears a 32 I have him try it on if it's too short I give him a 34 or 36 as the case may be. I don't permanently mark the size on the back of the belt for a couple of reasons; 1) People are more apt to buy a 36" belt without marking than a 34" belt with 36 marked on it, just vanity I suppose, it doesn't matter what the belt is marked the main goal is to have a belt that will go around the waist where the customer wears it and buckle into one of the three most central holes.

Chief

I appreciate the input, seems the "best guess" is the only way to go.

I have found this equation to work pretty good when I only have the pant size to work from:

up to 30" pant size, add 2"

30-33, add 3"

upwards of 33, add 4".........this isn't scientific, just a good guess...the wearer may not use the center hole you make for him, but it will be close.

Thanks Rayban, I will keep this handy. Sure beats my best guess theory.

The best guess is not the way to make a belt. What is needed is the size of the pants the customer wears, this is very important.

The belt size they wear is the next size. To make a belt blank for this gentleman or lady you would add 9 inches to length of the waste measurement. If the pants size is 40 that would make a size 42 belt. You would cut the blank to 51 inches in length. I use a 1 1/4"bag punch for the belt tongue. I use Chicago screws to fasten the belt and hold the buckle. I use a 5/8ths inch wide belt keeper.

Starting at the left end of the blank measure out 1/2" the next measure is 1 1/2" from the 1/2" start. Next is 3/4" from the 1 1/2" mark. The 1 1/4" bag punch goes here. This 3/4" mark is the left side of the 1 1/4" bag punch. The next mark is 3/4" from the right side of the bag punch hole. The next hole from there is 1 1/2".

There will be two holes on the left of the bag punch and two holes on the right side of the bag punch hole. Measure from the center of the bag punch hole to the belt size of 42 inches. Mark this hole. Then put two holes on the left side of this mark and two holes on the right side they are spaced 1 1/4". You will then have a three inch over hang for the belt to go through the belt loop. If you want a longer over hang cut the belt blank longer. I make all of my belts from this layout.

Edited by Geneva

Geneva, thanks for the belt layout, I will have to print this and try it. I use Chicago screws on all my belts as well. In my original post I indicated I have the waist size or as the customer provides the size of pants the person wears they are purchasing the belt for so your method seems like it will work. Thanks again.

My method will work. The reason for the 1 1/4" bag punch is that the radius of the buckle tongue is that long. One inch is to small unless you use those cheezy stamped sheet metal buckles I have been using this method for ten years. Good luck

Edited by Geneva

I believe Pounder knows how to make a belt...his question is about how to make the best guess at the size when only the customer's pant size is known.

If you know the customers pant size there is no guessing as to the size of the belt.

If you know the customers pant size there is no guessing as to the size of the belt.

I haven't known that to be the case.....you line up 6 guys who wear 34 pants, they are very likely to have different belt sizes...ranging from 36 to 39. We're all built differently and most times that comes in to play.

One guy who wears 34 pants will have 6-pack abs, another, love handles and a beer belly......those two belts will not be the same size.

I would have to disagree...because I have never seen two manufacturers who size their pants the same. I have 34" pants that are tight and 34" pants that are quite loose. Kinda like shoes...gotta try them on to make sure that Brand X size 10's are the same as Brand Y's.

As I stated above, I wear a 34" pant and a 40" belt, so +4" from my pant size would put me on the last hole of a 5 hole belt.

You are absolutely right.

I am just pleased to have direction from someone so confident in their style of sizing, cannot wait to put it to use. I am positive my belt orders will increase exponentially.